1974 Double Cab Project

Rob

Re: 1974 Double Cab Project

Post by Rob »

Thanks for looking that up. There is no relay/ buzzer in the bus so will be easy to not hook up :lol:
Last edited by Rob on Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"
1968 Black Double Cab "The Black Pearl"
1970 Lotus White Single Cab "Big Tud"
1976 Sage Green Westfalia "Sweet Pickle"

They gotta' have names!
Rob

Post by Rob »

You may have noticed that the thread title changed from 1973 to 1974 Double Cab Project :shock: . Well I am embarrassed to admit this but some where along the way I got it into my head that this was a '73 :? . This morning I wanted to look at the M-Code plate and saw it was in fact a '74. The other day my father had even asked, isn't it a '74? There goes my street cred' :oops: .
Attachments
m-code.jpg
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"

They gotta' have names!
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Which switch does your truck use? the one with a pigtail or the one that has blades for a connector? If it is the earlier with pigtails, use the 72 wiring diagram.
Rob

Post by Rob »

It uses the pigtail, the switch itself does not have any blade connectors. The wires are soldered directly to it. Below are some photos of it.
Attachments
ignition 3.jpg
ignition2.jpg
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"

They gotta' have names!
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Use this diagram
bus_1972_wiring.jpg
Click it for a big version
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Is that the new switch in the housing or the original?
Rob

Post by Rob »

It is the new switch. The bus did not come with an original one. It looks like they removed the switch and then tried to get the ignition cylinder out by drilling holes in the housing. After that they gave up and mounted a generic three terminal switch on the dash (one terminal had 2 wires connected to it). Original wiring was nowhere to be found. Have been piecing together correct colored wires from old harnesses I have salvaged from other buses.

Not really relevant to the topic of wiring but the key pictured in the original lock cylinder is from a Beetle. The guy we bought it from said he jammed it in there so that he could keep the steering lock from engaging. :(
Attachments
Ignition housing the bus came with.
Ignition housing the bus came with.
Ignition lock cylinder.
Ignition lock cylinder.
Ignition switch that had been mounted on the dash.
Ignition switch that had been mounted on the dash.
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"

They gotta' have names!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Toolbox, thanks for the wiring diagram. It seems to more closely follow what I am seeing in the remnants of the bus's wiring after I have removed the add ons and splices. Though the wiper switch is mounted on the steering column and there is an 8 terminal connector that some of the wires go to. It definetly solves the mystery of where the brown/ blue wire goes. I guess the differences are because it was a non US model?
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"

They gotta' have names!
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Rob wrote:Toolbox, thanks for the wiring diagram. It seems to more closely follow what I am seeing in the remnants of the bus's wiring after I have removed the add ons and splices. Though the wiper switch is mounted on the steering column and there is an 8 terminal connector that some of the wires go to. It definetly solves the mystery of where the brown/ blue wire goes. I guess the differences are because it was a non US model?
Probably need to use both diagrams to figure it out.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Still piecing back together the wiring. Currently waiting on a few parts to come in namely a headlight switch and a emergency flasher switch before finishing with that. In the meantime I have been cleaning and painting the foot pedals, e-brake arm, gear shift, steering column bracket etc... Also the gas pedal was pretty sloppy and would occasionally stick. Taking that apart I found some curious welding work. Now I know why they did it, to keep the pedal rod from going through the elongated hole, but they had to have known what it ended up looking like. I just could not drive around knowing that was under my foot :o
Attachments
Picture speaks for itself
Picture speaks for itself
pedal 2.jpg
Elongated hole in the pedal
Elongated hole in the pedal
After castration
After castration
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"