clutch cable for isabella

Frankinbus

clutch cable for isabella

Post by Frankinbus »

bus was grinding going into reverse, thought i would adjust cable free play. found wingnut had none, po turned it in too much. got off at noon, thought i would replace it ,have a spare. new cable end is longer and bigger, clevis pin unusable, got a replacement at the hardware store, after drilling,grinding,cutting it works. why dont those damn cables go in as easy as they come out!!!! 4 hours later all done.
cut off excess before installed
cut off excess before installed
one strand away from disaster
one strand away from disaster
got it from ww, close but not perfect
got it from ww, close but not perfect
65 11 window bus
2012 turbo beetle
1964 berry mini t buggy
toolbox

Re: clutch cable for isabella

Post by toolbox »

Pull the bowden tube off the trans next time and it will be easier to get the cable through. Check the hole in the arm of the clutch pedal, bet it is oblong. Fix it before it breaks...Best is to weld old and redrill hole.
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

toolbox wrote:Pull the bowden tube off the trans next time and it will be easier to get the cable through. Check the hole in the arm of the clutch pedal, bet it is oblong. Fix it before it breaks...Best is to weld old and redrill hole.
Usually not a bad idea to replace the bowden tube at the same time. Also the little boot that seals the cable exit end of the bowden tube.
Frankinbus

Post by Frankinbus »

that boot is long gone, the rest goes on my growing winter project list
65 11 window bus
2012 turbo beetle
1964 berry mini t buggy
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

wwebner wrote:
toolbox wrote:Pull the bowden tube off the trans next time and it will be easier to get the cable through. Check the hole in the arm of the clutch pedal, bet it is oblong. Fix it before it breaks...Best is to weld old and redrill hole.
Usually not a bad idea to replace the bowden tube at the same time. Also the little boot that seals the cable exit end of the bowden tube.

And the one on the front where the cable enters the tube...
Frankinbus

Post by Frankinbus »

after installing and adjusting free play the wingnut bottomed out :evil: i took it out and measuredit, 3120mm. my year calls for 3115mm. also i have a chatter when driving which i think may be the throw out bearing so i plan on pulling the motor this spring to have a look.
65 11 window bus
2012 turbo beetle
1964 berry mini t buggy
Stan

Post by Stan »

Do you have the proper amount of bend in your Bowden tube?
Stan Levine
67 Franken-Beetle
85 Vanagon Riviera
Stan

Post by Stan »

In addition to eliminating(?) chatter, proper bend will take out some or all of the extra length in your cable.
Stan Levine
67 Franken-Beetle
85 Vanagon Riviera