Austin's 1977 Tintop Camper

ohiowesty

Re: Austin's 1977 Tintop Camper

Post by ohiowesty »

my ghetto AF setup - 4x4 electrical box cover, courtesy of the Chuckmeister. Used it several times last year, love it.
sender cover.jpg
chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

Who gives a hoot enough to hack a hole to replace the sender, you could always just be sure you have fuel in the tank, and/or keep a mileage log and know when you need gas from the mileage traveled...
Kooper271

Post by Kooper271 »

Alright, no sender access hole.

I have Fridays off but instead of working on the bus I finished up the last few sections of fence I had left to replace. A couple of the posts ripped in half, leaving half the post buried in the ground so that was fun...

Got my new pistons and cylinders from Mahle on Wednesday and the new ring compressor today. Messed around with it a little bit, and man that thing is awesome. For $35 I would never build an engine without it.

https://www.hptautosport.com/products/w ... e-rcs09400
Kooper271

Post by Kooper271 »

chuckspence wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:41 pm ...you could always just be sure you have fuel in the tank, and/or keep a mileage log and know when you need gas from the mileage traveled...
I could just shove a stick in there to see if I have gas, right? :lol:

Finally starting to come together. Looked for a piece of cylinder tin today for an hour. It turns out I grabbed one, got distracted and put it somewhere 'safe' then later grabbed the other one thinking it was the one I grabbed at first...

20170226_194652.jpg
Kooper271

Post by Kooper271 »

Took the tins to a car wash to power wash them today. Didn't work as well as I hoped and no time in the budget to have them blasted so I'm going to become good friends with a wire wheel and degreaser
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Kooper271 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:12 pm Took the tins to a car wash to power wash them today. Didn't work as well as I hoped and no time in the budget to have them blasted so I'm going to become good friends with a wire wheel and degreaser
Find a trans shop and see if you could bribe them with a case of beer to have then run it through their parts washer.
CraigOnTheBoat

Post by CraigOnTheBoat »

64 Campmobile
87 Syncro
chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

Find the time in your budget to properly clean and paint your engine sheet metal (thats your cooling system, a vital part of your power plant) that stuff should have been done last Summer when you began this project, Stop trying to get this bus together for your March camping trip, This is not just a minor thing you're trying to fix to get yourself on the road, this is the engine you'll hopefully be able to rock down the road without any issues for the next 10 years and rushing it now is ill advised, and on this project you're like the poster child for Murphy's law, even beyond that, you've gotten some things to go wrong that almost never go wrong, Just take your time and do it right, I'd rather see future posts on your camper about all the camping trips and Leakoil events you've taken it to, not 10 more pages about your motor...
Kooper271

Post by Kooper271 »

Thanks for the advice, Ted and Craig.

I only had 3 pieces of tin and the fan shroud to clean, so I just power washed them with hot water, scraped off the real thick stuff with a putty knife, soaked them in easy off, then stripped them to bare metal with a wire cup brush and wheel. I had some minor rust spots that I needed to lightly sand. That all went pretty quick and easy. I'll wash them off with hot water again, then prime and paint them using VHT paint.

Except for what was listed above, all of my tins were sandblasted and powder-coated last May before I bought them. I will have the original ones sandblasted and powder-coated at a later time. I haven't cut corners yet, and I'm certainly not going to start by sticking grimy cooling tins back on.

Sometimes I swear I'm learning more about how not to build an engine than I am learning about how to build an engine. I won't write 10 more pages about my engine.
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Or the torch has now been passed to the younger generation....