Austin's 1977 Tintop Camper

Dual Port

Re: Austin's 1977 Tintop Camper

Post by Dual Port »

Kooper271 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:30 am Dan found a stick in my gas tank :lol:
Very common in my HD truck world. The fuel gauge dies, the owner/mgr doesn't want to take the truck out of service and tells the driver to use a stick. Does he get a clean broomstick from inside the warehouse? F!@% no, he uses a dirty tree branch which breaks off and disintegrates, clogging the dip tube or fuel line. I saw it more times than I can count when I had the shop........

:mrgreen:
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Kooper271

Post by Kooper271 »

I received my new Mahle P&Cs last night. The fit is much better than the AA's. I will probably buy some replacement parts for what is broken in my AA kit, then oil them up and store for later.

The ring compressor will be here tomorrow, and Dan should have my gas tank done sometime next week. Everything is starting to come together!

Just need to send my FI's out, and order some Dakota Digital senders to run up front.
Kooper271

Post by Kooper271 »

Dual Port wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:39 pm
Kooper271 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:30 am Dan found a stick in my gas tank :lol:
Very common in my HD truck world. The fuel gauge dies, the owner/mgr doesn't want to take the truck out of service and tells the driver to use a stick. Does he get a clean broomstick from inside the warehouse? F!@% no, he uses a dirty tree branch which breaks off and disintegrates, clogging the dip tube or fuel line. I saw it more times than I can count when I had the shop........

Do you think I should replace my fuel sender then?
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Kooper271 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:40 am
Dual Port wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Do you think I should replace my fuel sender then?
At least make sure it works, replace the sender o-ring too.
Kooper271

Post by Kooper271 »

I will do that, thanks. I have a new sender from Bus Depot, but I've heard they can be crap. Seriously considering cutting a sender access hole and making it look nice, as that is what the dealer would have done...
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Kooper271 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:05 pm I will do that, thanks. I have a new sender from Bus Depot, but I've heard they can be crap. Seriously considering cutting a sender access hole and making it look nice, as that is what the dealer would have done...
There were instructions to do it in the orange dealer service manual. Listed a part number for a cover kit too. If I ever find my orange manual I will post up some of the approved field service fixes.
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

The VW one was a nicely stamped round plate. Probably find something that will work great at a boat supply like West Marine.
chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

Don't cut a sender access hole, Hacked in access holes are the mark of an amateur, something reserved for hooptie rustbucket daily drivers, not for 1977 tin top campers, if I had a bus with a cut in access hole I would weld it shut, and basecoat/clearcoat it to match....
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

I had a 77 that had what I thought was a factory access hole and cover. It was as toolbox described, round. I was glad it was there when I had to replace the sender.