78 Westy Exhaust

wwebner

Re: 78 Westy Exhaust

Post by wwebner »

john72bay

Post by john72bay »

[quote="Dual Port"]Those nuts are pretty rotted. Don't even bother with penetrating oil and don't touch them unless they're glowing red. If you are not familiar with heating rusted nuts with an acetylene torch pay someone who is. If you want to do the work yourself drive it to a repair shop or muffler shop and have them loosen the nuts for you, then drive it home with loose noisy exhaust. There's a good chance they will come loose but there's no guarantees.[/qu

Yeah that was the plan for sure. I've not worked on the type 4 motor myself very much so some of the quirks are new to me. However I have done an exhaust or two before. We sprayed one side down last night and it actually came loose pretty easily this morning.
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

While you are at it. I would strongly recommend that you make sure that the exhaust hangers are still there. They usually are attached on one of the flange bolts at the rear of the heat exchanger. This exhaust is quite heavy and without these hangers to support it,it puts all the stress and weight on the flanges at the head. You may have to fab something,but they usually attach to a threaded hole on the fan shroud.
john72bay

Post by john72bay »

It is still there, but I think I'll probably have to fab something up for the replacement I'm putting in.