78 Westy Exhaust

john72bay

78 Westy Exhaust

Post by john72bay »

Does anyone have any good ideas or solutions to replace the exhaust on a budget? Thanks
Kooper271

Re: 78 Westy Exhaust

Post by Kooper271 »

I have a 77 exhaust you can have. Everything but the heater boxes.
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

One of my suppliers offers a "heater box eliminator" set. Basically a header set up that a stock 72-74 muffle or extractor
bolts up to. I can check current price,but I think the eliminators run about $250 or less. extractor under $200.
john72bay

Post by john72bay »

wwebner wrote:One of my suppliers offers a "heater box eliminator" set. Basically a header set up that a stock 72-74 muffle or extractor
bolts up to. I can check current price,but I think the eliminators run about $250 or less. extractor under $200.
I would definitely be interested in that. Do you have a link I could see pictures of it.
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/pvw/2 ... eplacement

You can find the muffler or extractor that will mate with these almost anywhere. CIP1 seems to have about the best deal
john72bay

Post by john72bay »

Can anyone tell me if these are square or round ports.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Difficult to tell from those pics. Look like round (oval). I will get some pics up tomorrow that may help.
I would start soaking those studs down with PB Blaster or something similar, Seafoam makes a penetrant as does Krol. Keep soaking them. If the studs come out when you remove the manifold
that's much easier to deal with than if they break.
Highly unlikely that they are square port,as that would be a one year only (79) heater box.
In fact after looking at your pics some more, I'm sure they are not square port.
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

john72bay wrote:Does anyone have any good ideas or solutions to replace the exhaust on a budget? Thanks
Buy an early Bay.

If you don't need an exhaust right this minute one can be put together for a lot less than the new eliminator pipes and muffler. Call the yards out west for heat exchangers and pipes, scour the swaps, put up a wanted ad here and Samba. Chuck might even swap you Bay parts for Ruckus parts....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1929006
john72bay

Post by john72bay »

wwebner wrote:Difficult to tell from those pics. Look like round (oval). I will get some pics up tomorrow that may help.
I would start soaking those studs down with PB Blaster or something similar, Seafoam makes a penetrant as does Krol. Keep soaking them. If the studs come out when you remove the manifold
that's much easier to deal with than if they break.
Highly unlikely that they are square port,as that would be a one year only (79) heater box.
In fact after looking at your pics some more, I'm sure they are not square port.

Thanks for all your help. I was thinking they were the oval but I could not tell. We just recently picked this bus up on a trade. Trying to put the the motor back in order. It runs great. Just needs some love. Have new push rod tubes and looking to do the exhaust just so I won't have to mess with it for a while.
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Those nuts are pretty rotted. Don't even bother with penetrating oil and don't touch them unless they're glowing red. If you are not familiar with heating rusted nuts with an acetylene torch pay someone who is. If you want to do the work yourself drive it to a repair shop or muffler shop and have them loosen the nuts for you, then drive it home with loose noisy exhaust. There's a good chance they will come loose but there's no guarantees.
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus