78 westy

chuckspence

Re: 78 westy

Post by chuckspence »

No need to purchase shaft rebuild kits, the shafts come apart easily and usually just need cleaned and lubed, lil C clip holds em together, not a difficult fix, unless your shafts are all buggered up, if your wiper is just slow they're probably rebuild-able, if they're loose & wobbly they may need replacement...
ohiowesty

Post by ohiowesty »

Next step is taking linkages apart, and removal of wiper shafts for inspection, clean and lube.
image001reduced.jpg
Linkage arms are kind of bendy, so I refrained from prying them apart. A battery terminal puller will do the trick. The cup at the end of the puller is too big so I inserted a bolt in between the cup and the linkage/articulation.
image002reduced.jpg
somewhere under this grime there's a circlip that prevents the wiper shaft from pulling out
image003reduced.jpg
After poking around with a pointy thingy, I found the groove; you can see one end of the circlip right by the tip of the pick
image004reduced.jpg
Earlier in the day, I had a 20% off superbowl HF coupon and I got me a set of snap ring pliers for 5 bucks, and got a free multimeter with it.
image005reduced.jpg
Yeah, I know they are not for this kind of clip, but they worked
Attachments
image006reduced.jpg
ohiowesty

Post by ohiowesty »

after removing the clip, I found a washer underneath
image007reduced.jpg
one shaft slid out with ease, the other was really caked. I sprayed it on both ends with brake cleaner and worked it for a few minuted until it came out
image008reduced.jpg
While cleaning the parts I discovered another washer, buried in grime at the base of the shaft
image009reduced.jpg
It's a wavy little thing
image010reduced.jpg
As a side note, I tried using an LED light to take better macro shots with my potato camera phone. My cat is not impressed...
image011reduced.jpg
The camera detects the pulsation of the LED, and while focusing on a shot, I see black lines slowly scrolling down the phone screen; the lines come out in the pics too
image012reduced.jpg
ohiowesty

Post by ohiowesty »

Notice the worn out splines below the threads; and the rusty area below the clip groove is actually slightly recessed from wear
image013reduced.jpg
The other shaft was the stuck one; splines are also damaged, and there is evidence that water infiltrated all the way to the bottom
image014reduced.jpg
image015reduced.jpg
I can gently sand down the rusty areas and pack everything tight, but there will be slop; my main concern is the damaged splines, which will cause the wiper arms to eventually skip.
IMO these shafts are shot and due for replacement. What do you think? Can I make these original ones work, or should I just get some crappy after market ones http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Wiper-Shaf ... m?CartID=1 ?
ohiowesty

Post by ohiowesty »

I also worked on the fridge. I never had a chance to try it out because the control panel wiring harness is missing. It's a simple unit that has no moving parts except the thermostat knob; the ammonia solution cycles through the tubes by gravity. I can hear the liquid sloshing through the lines; at least it's not crystallized! The fridge should draw over 5 amps so it will deplete the aux battery within hours, but it may be ok on shorepower.
1.jpg
The plan is to check each component, figure out the wiring, and then test the whole unit, rigged to a house outlet.
As a reference, I am using the refrigerator section in the 78 Westfalia troubleshooting manual. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ma ... manual.php
ohiowesty

Post by ohiowesty »

Testing the heating element.
The yellow wire nuts and the electrical tape on the insulation mean that a PO messed with the unit.
2.jpg
Removal of the bottom insulation reveals the heating element, hidden inside a tube welded to the coolant line
3.jpg
you can see the tip of it inside the tube; admire the ghetto clamping screw!
4.jpg
The heating element slides out easily; the first problem is that there are four wires coming out of it, instead of two
5.jpg
Notice the stamping for both 12v and 115v, which means that it belonged to a canadian model - with separate circuits for battery and shore power.
6.jpg
Next I removed the fabric insulation to expose the entire length of the wires, so I can separate the 12v pair from the 112v pair. I assumed that the 12v pair was the one initially hooked to the blue and black wires on the socket; I actually lucked out on it.Testing is easy - just hook up the wire pair to the battery terminal - I don't think polarity matters
7.jpg
the element started immediately, and was piping hot within 20 seconds
8.jpg
So the heating element is good!
ohiowesty

Post by ohiowesty »

Testing the 12V power supply
9.jpg
remove the transformer cover
10.jpg
it's supposed to look like this
11.JPG
instead, I got this mess - see below - so I snipped both 12v wires
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
The breaker box supplies power to the transformer.
16.jpg
I removed the cover and inspected everything; the outlet turned out to be garbage - with wobbly connections even after tightening down the screws. I then powered the transformer by rigging the black and white input lines to a wall outlet, via an extension cord
17.jpg
set the multimeter on 20v DC and checked for 12 volts across the freshly cleaned up red and white wires coming out of the transformer; It's good!
18.jpg
ohiowesty

Post by ohiowesty »

Next is wire cleanup.
I installed a 20 amp inline fuse and extended the temporary test lines to the fridge.
19.jpg
Figuring out the rat's next under the thermostat took a while; I could have hooked up the heating element directly to the transformer and call it a day, but I wanted test the dial knob too.
20.jpg
Here is the diagram, the fridge wiring is the rectangle in the middle
21.jpg
22.jpg
and here my hookups at the triple connector under the Tstat
23.jpg
ohiowesty

Post by ohiowesty »

Fridge test
all hooked up to power! nothing blew!
24.jpg
temperature at start of test
25.jpg
temperature after 20 minutes
26.jpg
right about now I had an epiphany and realized that I might burn my basement down, so I quickly unplugged the fridge.
this is how the heating element wire was routed by the PO, so I reinstalled it the same way: inside the insulation sleeve, along the piping hot line. the wires could melt and cause a fire..
27.jpg
so I pulled out the heating element and installed the other way - with the wires opposite to the lines, and not touching a thing
28.jpg
29.jpg
after an hour, dial on max setting: condenser is super cold and there is a film of ice on the side of it
30.jpg
after two hours, temperature of the inner walls is 32
31.jpg
Verdict: overall I am pleasantly surprised by how fast this little fridge starts cooling; I think that with intermittent battery use, and with a bag of ice in it, it will work just fine for a few days of camping. And with shore power it's great.
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Nice write-up! I'm going to have to step up my game...... ;)
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus