'59 Panel

toolbox

Re: Sean's '59 Panel

Post by toolbox »

Dual Port wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:36 pm And to think I was kicked out of Geometry class in high school!

:mrgreen:
That's because textbook classes are usually not related to anything real world.
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

I've been driving this thing around the westside with no issues. I took it out on the freeway and ran it at 60mph to Basil's this evening and left early because I was having an issue.
IMG_3382.jpg
The engine is a stock 40HP. The PO bought it "rebuilt" and installed it. One thing I noticed from the git go was someone installed the distributor drive gear 180 off. No biggy. I made sure the cap wire (#1) lined up where TDC is located. #1 is basically where you'd expect #3 to be. It doesn't effect movement of the vacuum can. I mention this because there may be more Issues with this engine than I originally thought.

I know I have good idiot lights because Bruce did them. :D When I came off the freeway ramp this evening, I noticed the dreaded red light on at idle. :x Slight rev and it goes out. Stays out under load.
IMG_3390.jpg
IMG_3391.jpg
So I think I must be having oil pressure issues. :? I know it doesn't effect pressure, but I did check the oil before departure and it was dead on. I get to Basil's and it doesn't look like it has any oil??? :o Then I check again and I'm wondering if I have gas in the oil. :( It looks like there's more oil than there should be! My nose is horrible for smell, so I can't tell from the dipstick what I have going on. I start to think about too much fuel pressure and the pump forcing too much gas and some of it ending up in the crankcase. But I can't see any "shut down run off" that is common with that. (Ask me how I know!)

So I take it easy coming home and take the long route on 254. No performance issues or red light issues. I decide to run it again for a quick freeway stretch and on the exit ramp at idle the red light is back on. Out again under load.

When I get it home The dipstick is not too hot to touch. It's hot, but I can touch it and hold it.
IMG_3392.jpg
Here are some shots of the dipstick.
IMG_3393.jpg
IMG_3394.jpg
IMG_3396.jpg
I have to work in Columbus tomorrow, but is there an easy test for oil pressure? Do I take out the oil pressure sender and insert a gauge there? Get a reading at idle and with some RPM's?

If I put a FP gauge on the line coming out of the fuel pump, how much can I tell if I rev the engine?

I actually think I have a FP gauge (It may be for a fuel injected bay, but I'll see) and I think I have a oil pressure gauge. I just need to learn how to use and read them.

I'll change the oil Saturday and see where I stand. My 1600 project may be happening sooner than I think!
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

What weight oil are you using?
Karl Kombi

Post by Karl Kombi »

The red light on the left is the generator light. :) Idle too low?
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Karl Kombi wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:07 am The red light on the left is the generator light. :) Idle too low?
+1. I know what will fix that. ;)
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Karl Kombi wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:07 am The red light on the left is the generator light. :) Idle too low?
I guess I learned that the red light was electrical many years ago in my Muir days, but the symptoms were speaking to me in the language of oil.

The idle at 850-900 seemed good enough with all the new electrics. And why would the light only come on after a freeway run and not always at idle if it was electrical? Well, I thought the only explanation is the wires might be crossed and they are. I turned the ignition on and observd both idiot lights on then when to the engine compartment and pulled the wire off the oil sender. Then went back to the cab and the red light was now out and the green light was still on. So the oil sender was wired to the red and hot to green. Easy fix.
IMG_3399.jpg
IMG_3400.jpg
So this is on me. As always! :D Its very understandable how this happened. There's a modified fuse box in this bus with the wires not being as they were in any diagram. Further, the spedo on this bus has been out and in and out again on at least three occasions (the odo still doesn't work right, but that's a story for another day) so crossing wires isn't hard to imagine.

As to oil, I put 10w-30w in this bus when I first got it because I had some, but normally I run straight 30W in all my VW's. 30W will go in tomorrow or Sunday. That may help, but I'm guessing there's an oil pressure problem.

The other possible issue is fuel pressure. I'm not convinced I have fuel in the oil, but I'm not ruling it out. I still can't smell the difference like many can. I only smell "industrial." :lol:

I'd like to get one of those in-line fuel pressure regulators so I can dial it down to 2.5 or something like that instead of adding a bunch of gaskets or grinding the pushrod if it turns out I have a excessive pressure problem. Does Mick sell those in-line regulators? Local FLAPS? I know one more component on a fuel line in the engine compartment isn't good, but I'll keep an eye on it if I find one.

I'm going to dig out the fuel and oil gauges I have and try to learn how to use them Sunday and report back.
Dual Port wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:39 am
+1. I know what will fix that. ;)
Ha Ha! Your wiring assures 6V works just fine! :lol:
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Don't you love these Sean posts/threads on mechanical issues? :D A lot like reading a Dr. Sues book! :lol:

So, here are some of the gauges I'm going to play with. I don't have a vacuum port on my manifold so I guess I can forget vacuum.
IMG_3402.jpg
IMG_3403.jpg
IMG_3404.jpg
IMG_3405.jpg
IMG_3406.jpg
I guess I can try the first one for oil. The second or third ones for fuel. I think the 4th one is for fuel injection. The fifth one is (I think) for water! :lol:

I'll report back on Sunday after I have my Green Eggs and Ham! :D
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

IMHO 30 wght oil is too thin. Check your Bently manual.
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

I thought 30 was consistently thicker than the ranges 10-30 or 10-40? Should I try to find straight 50W? Here's what I could find in Bentley. I've never heard of 20/20. :?

IMG_3407.jpg
IMG_3408.jpg
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

VW's recomendations changed in the 70's. I have always used 20/50 This is from 70's Bentley.
oilvisc.jpg