Fooled Again

Karl Kombi

Fooled Again

Post by Karl Kombi »

I was able to take a few hours off work after lunch, so I decided to take a short bus cruise. :D After a half-mile or so, the bus started to buck and hesitate severely, with no power. The funny thing is, it idled fine, but under load, it was fighting every inch of the way back home -- like something was suddenly crapping out. As I was pulling into the driveway, I remembered that Bruce recently had a condenser issue, and that's what I was focused on.

I went to NAPA -- none. I went to Federated -- none. I went to Advance -- none. I called Bruce to see if he'd allow me to shop in his candy store -- he graciously had a wide variety...

After I put everything back together, I just happened to notice that a round plug on the back of the carburetor body (that I've never paid attention to before) was kicked out of position, so you could see into the carb! I snapped the plug back into place, took the bus out, and it ran fine. What the?? I didn't know that was a "removable" plug.
Pictured below is the plug back in place -- with a scribe pointing to it.
Carb Plug.jpg
I do have a new condenser though!
toolbox

Re: Fooled Again

Post by toolbox »

Time to restake it and add some fuel proof epoxy to seal it up and keep it in place.

I have used dimes and Permetex gasket sealer to get up and running when the plug goes MIA on the road.
Marla

Post by Marla »

Good Eye Joe! Luckily you caught it before KI and you were able to recover it.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
Karl Kombi

Post by Karl Kombi »

Ted -- Can I stake it around the outside with an auto center punch? Bruce also told me to epoxy it in -- great minds think alike. Marla -- my thoughts exactly! I could imagine this happening half-way to Marblehead... :shock:
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

A pin punch and a hammer, probably only need one stake on the right side. Add fuel proof epoxy and off you go.