78 bus

Lysa

78 bus

Post by Lysa »

I got a 78 VW motor has been rebuilt but it bogs down between 2 and 3 gear. It is fuel injected. Any ideas??

Thanks LysaโœŒ๐Ÿผ
Attachments
43948EE4-9C30-4353-8086-D8BDE8A86EED.jpeg
EDDF6D00-A854-458D-B538-9ED30E7209F5.jpeg
CC251AEA-314F-46E4-8321-9131E0344CB8.jpeg
B9A6F3C8-0E38-4865-8B51-D787A6293BDA.jpeg
78 VW bus ๐ŸšŽ
71 VW Westfalia ๐Ÿš
wwebner

Re: 78 bus

Post by wwebner »

Beautiful bus Lysa. You probably need to start with a good tune up. Quite possibly ignition timing issue. Not advancing properly.
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

I've owned several fuel injected '70's buses and have learned from my past mistakes. First, don't let anyone talk you into removing the fuel injection. It's most economical/reliable fuel delivery system for these vehicles.

Like Bill said, start with the tune up.

Once that's done, if you still have that problem you might check fuel pressure/clogged dirty fuel filter or crap in fuel tank restricting flow. I had that issue on one of mine and it gave me that symptom.
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Six Volt wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:00 am I've owned several fuel injected '70's buses and have learned from my past mistakes. First, don't let anyone talk you into removing the fuel injection. It's most economical/reliable fuel delivery system for these vehicles.

Like Bill said, start with the tune up.

Once that's done, if you still have that problem you might check fuel pressure/clogged dirty fuel filter or crap in fuel tank restricting flow. I had that issue on one of mine and it gave me that symptom.
+1 On above advice. Tops on my list would be ignition timing retarded or fuel starvation (clogged filter, weak pump). Make sure the timing advances properly when revved up and returns to base setting at idle.

What's the story behind its history and paint? How long have you owned it?
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Lysa

Post by Lysa »

Thanks for the ideas.. It is hard to find someone around me that works on fuel injection ๐Ÿ˜”
I really want to get this fixed.. I want to drive her.
I got her last fall and my dad rebuild the engine and did the body work.. the inside is still really rough.
78 VW bus ๐ŸšŽ
71 VW Westfalia ๐Ÿš
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

If it starts and runs and your only problem is the bogs between 2 &3 it is most likely not a fuel injection problem. I am leaning towards timing. Make sure that it advances to 28-30 degrees when you rev it to 3000 RPM.
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Lysa wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:10 pm Thanks for the ideas.. It is hard to find someone around me that works on fuel injection ๐Ÿ˜”
I really want to get this fixed.. I want to drive her.
First of all where is around here?

Bruce needs something to do. He is so bored he is playing musical engines....
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

If your dad rebuilt the engine he can probably sort out the timing issue, but Bruce is an excellent resource as he does most of the stuff on my VW's above my minimum wage pay grade.

In addition to this site, a good source for info on late bays can be found on ratwell's site. https://ratwell.com

You can find his finding top dead center article here:
https://ratwell.com/technical/FindTimingMark.html

The only other suggestion I can make with my limited knowledge is to ask if you're running points or a petronix ignition? Most late bay owners migrate to the petronix with the FI system.

In light of my last question, I should also ask if you're running the right distributor for the FI motor? I'm assuming yes because you do have it running.

If you're intimidated by fuel injection, you can go to this page http://www.type2.com/bartnik/tech.htm
and scroll down to the bottom of the page where you'll find clickable links for each component of the fuel injection system. The links do a good job of explaining each component of the system.

The Bentley manual has a good section on FI in the last chapter. If you're going to own a late bay, you should probably get a Bentley manual if you don't already have one.
Lysa

Post by Lysa »

Iโ€™m from Wooster Ohio!!
Thanks I have a couple of the manuals.. and I will share all of this with my dad.. see what we can do
Thanks
78 VW bus ๐ŸšŽ
71 VW Westfalia ๐Ÿš