76 Westfalia Sweet Pickle

wwebner

Re: 76 Westfalia Sweet Pickle

Post by wwebner »

This is the Kostel ign switch. VW pt# will be ground off.
ign switch 002.jpg
ign switch 003.jpg
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Rob wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:05 pm I would like to try wiring in a relay in the engine compartment.

I found this on the Samba.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... uble+relay

My engine is carbureted and has an aftermarket fuel pump mounted on the inside of the frame rail near the starter. So I think alot that is on that diagram does not apply. Can anyone provide a more simple diagram/explanation?
Thats a stock FI pump relay. The relay I posted is hooked up this way...

86 is trigger (old wire to solenoid)
85 is ground
30 is high power in also called Line Side. This should be fused at at least 30amps and be at least 10ga wire and taken from starter main lug
87 is power out to device (new 10ga wire to solenoid trigger terminal) Load Side

Mount it on the firewall in the engine compartment. I have seen a few mounted under the car that fill with water, corrode and fire off causing the vehicle to motor away with the starter into whatever is in front or behind the vehicle.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks for the replies. I have been driving it back and forth to work the last two days and it has been firing right up with no hesitation. Just in case I park it in the corner of the lot that has slight slope in case I need to roll start it :lol: Bus Depot advised me today the German Ignition switch I ordered is back ordered indefinitely, so I canceled that order and ordered the Kostel switch from Airhead.
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"
1968 Black Double Cab "The Black Pearl"
1970 Lotus White Single Cab "Big Tud"
1976 Sage Green Westfalia "Sweet Pickle"

They gotta' have names!