The Big Spud "Mashed potaters"

NuggJugg

Re: The Big Spud "Mashed potaters"

Post by NuggJugg »

Here are a few photos I shot the day of that storm around Bay.

This damage was the house behind mine. The garage took a very large tree.

This was my next door neighbors yard. Luckily he was out in his B.W.M. and it wasn't in his driveway. The tree next to the garage just sheared the gutter and crushed some metal garbage cans, that was the extent of his damage.

This dump truck was for sale down by the Knickerbocker. The force of the tree popped the bed of the truck up.

Split tree in front of C.V.S and one that was pulled out of the ground!

And last but not least the giant tent on the Ironwoods patio was twisted and mangled in the winds. It was only anchored to the wooden fence by some rope.
douge

Post by douge »

You are fortunate that your insurance company is covering your bus. Do you have the same insurer for your home and your cars? Usually homeowners does not cover licensed vehicles under any conditions.
64 camper bus
65 Bug cal look
sand rail / wooded acres service vehicle
TheBigSpud

Post by TheBigSpud »

Same company. The bus is on a separate auto policy (and extremely reasonable btw) and has only a $100 deductible. Your right that it would not fall under the homeowners policy (which suprised me). They are being treated separately and by different adjusters in the same company. The contractor for the garage is ready to rock. Now if I could just get the adjuster moving and get the weather to break! Seems the insurance adjusters are a busy group right now (burst water pipes and such). I can't wait to dig into some upgrade projects I have planned for the spud, which now also includes tracking down the fiberglass luggage rack.
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Try Elmar at Streetsborough Foriegn Auto. 330 626 2456. Tell him you are a LEAKOILER and I told you to call. He has been to the last 2 Kelleys Island campouts and has several bay westies in his yard.
Bill
TheBigSpud

Post by TheBigSpud »

Getting underway today, finally. :D Got a POD for my stuff and a crew peeling the garage away! Hoping to have her freed up by dinner. Then we'll see what we got! :? Hate to see that moss go - been working on it for a few years!

Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
TheBigSpud

Post by TheBigSpud »

About 3pm -
front is off and able to get a better look. Not bad (at least visibly). Looks like just the luggage portion of the top is damaged! 8-) One tough vehicle! Started right up. I'm going to make sure the suspension is OK and try the pop top out and then I think I should be alright. :D Anything else to be on the look out for?

Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
Howie

Post by Howie »

TheBigSpud wrote:Anything else to be on the look out for?
Watch for any stray nails in the garage and driveway.
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
TheBigSpud

Post by TheBigSpud »

4pm -
Free at last. Anntena broken off, dented headlight ring, various scratches and chips. Also, the rear driver brake line was broken (I don't get this one). I can push the brake pedal all the way down. And there seems to be some stress cracks at the front corners of the pop-up portion of the top.
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Hope it all works out for you. I saw this thread on thesamba discussing some budget refinsihing of fiberglass tops. In the event you grab a used replacement top and want to go the discount route, here it is... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... fiberglass

I seem to remember Chuck Spence painted his top a couple years back. It looked great. I'm not certain what he used, but if he turns up here again, I'm sure he could weigh in with his formula. Again, good luck!
TheBigSpud

Post by TheBigSpud »

UPDATE - Finally got a nice top from a Samba guy. The bus is in Westlake getting some paint, straightening the rear bumper, windshield leak fix, pop top and new seal. Go an approval to completely tear out foundation and floor and repour. Cool beans - the paperwork crap has been a hassle for sure, but I'll get a sweet new garage and the bus should be looking good.
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI