The Big Spud "Mashed potaters"

TheBigSpud

The Big Spud "Mashed potaters"

Post by TheBigSpud »

Got a little windy here the other day!! 150 year old red oaks - one went south and the other, well.... Guess where The Spud is!!

Cheers,
Pete
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
Don from Canton

Re: Mashed potaters

Post by Don from Canton »

I sure hope it's nowhere near that situation!!!!! But, judging by the title of the thread, I'm thinking that's not the case. Please, tell us!
Don
TheBigSpud

Post by TheBigSpud »

Oh.... It's in there!!
Thought I'd put her up for the winter in a 'safe' place! So far it looks as thought the bus pretty much held up the roof and alot of the tree weight. It went down relatively slowly as it pulled up the roots so it was more of a slow crunch than a boom. So far, the front fiberglass luggage rack is toast and I can't see all of the main pop up top. It's sitting low in the back driver corner - might be that weight is still on it, or a possible problem. Otherwise, the body and glass seem untouched! So this may be stricly an easy bolt-on type of fix (hopefully). I won't know full details till we peel the garage off. The trees are gone (via crane) and the garage is somewhat buttoned up, but trashed, of course. Good news is that every thing (drive, garage, contents, and bus) are fully insured and the adjuster has been by to give the OK to start all work.

Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
Don from Canton

It sure looks like the fiberglass took the brunt of it and transferred the load to the rain gutters, and they are pretty darn sturdy. I hope that's the worst of it!

Oh boy, it hurts to see those photos, though.

Where are you located?
Don
TheBigSpud

Post by TheBigSpud »

I'm in Bay. I think I just met you over at IAC.

I'm just about sure the front section is the only damage. I'm going to keep my eye out for one. I'm pretty sure I'll find a good condition replacement by spring.
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
Don from Canton

Ah!!! You're "wiseguy" over there? I'm "vwlover77" over there. The internet is a confusing place, sometimes!

Bay, as in Bay Village?
Don
SlashKirk

Re: The Big Spud "Mashed potaters"

Post by SlashKirk »

That's awful man.........

I moved it to projects; since it looks like you have a new one now........
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
NuggJugg

Post by NuggJugg »

Hey Spud, I am in B Villa as well, that was one hell of a storm that night! I am sorry to hear about the tree in your yard, your garage and your bus! Where are you at in Bay?
TheBigSpud

Post by TheBigSpud »

Well - it's still in there. I'm hoping to get a break on the weather picture, but that just doesn't seem to be in the cards. Now I'm starting to worry about all the snow building up! The material needs to be lifted off and I'm still waiting on my estimate numbers from a contractor. I'm gonna need to light a fire under him.
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
Howie

Post by Howie »

Maybe try to put some floor-to-ceiling braces under some of those beams in the meantime, justincase? The snow is only going to get heavier, and I wouldn't expect to be seeing that contractor anytime soon with this weather. :cry:
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac