FramingSilly "There's a first time for everyone"

Josh

Re: FramingSilly "There's a first time for everyone"

Post by Josh »

Pat, did you also replace the oil filter? If not, that's where your oil was hiding. Otherwise, I'd get rid of the excess oil, you don't want to blow out your main seal or oil cooler seals. I like to keep the oil between the two lines.
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Filter should hold between 1/2 and 3/4 quart.You did not say if you ran it before checking level. If you did not change the filter, do so. the excess oil should fill the filter.If you changed the filter and did not fill the filter, run it a bit and check again. if still above the mark,do as Josh said and get enough out to get to the line.Easiest way to get rid of 1/2 quart is to take the filter off and replace with a new empy one.
Bill
framingsilly

Post by framingsilly »

I put a new filter on as well,sorry . I also filled the filter with about a half quart before I put it on.Still only a total of 3 and half quarts went in .wierd. I'll just drain a little.Is taking the filter off the easiest way to take a little out? Oh ya and that svda is a good thing (big differance)!Thanks for yhe input.
1972 weekender
1988 Vanagon
1968 Single cab
1984 Vanagon
1978 Transporter
1987 Cabrio
framingsilly

Post by framingsilly »

sorry dumb ass question,I'll figure it out ,probly see a little mess in my future.That's the fun of learning I guess.I was thinking maybe gas was getting in the oil but probaly being paranoid :roll:
1972 weekender
1988 Vanagon
1968 Single cab
1984 Vanagon
1978 Transporter
1987 Cabrio
Josh

Post by Josh »

Smell the oil, does it look runny? Bad needle valves(or excess fuel pressure) in the carbs could allow gas to dump down the intakes, or a bad fuel pump too (only if you have a stock, non-electric pump). But try to light the oil on the dipstick with a lighter (away from the bus), the oil shouldn't light. If you do have gas in the oil, change it before running the motor.
framingsilly

Post by framingsilly »

Thanks for the tip Josh I'm going to square that away today . I've got a little cruise to Marblehead to make , probably tomarrow. I did start getting a little drip by the push rods. Wonder if the axcess oil messed those up? All seals and gaskets are brand new . I'm not to worried about it though she's running like a champ! :D
1972 weekender
1988 Vanagon
1968 Single cab
1984 Vanagon
1978 Transporter
1987 Cabrio
framingsilly

Post by framingsilly »

OK there is gas in the oil :o The fuel pump I have is a brand new rotary pump with 3.5 psi. So I think I can rule that out. Were is the needle valve Bro? I'm doing a little panicing here. Just drained the oil.Also I would like to add , I just set the floats to the proper setting , maybe that was the cause of that the oil is full of gas?I'll just change the oil and run it a little then inspect the oil again.Sound logical? Needle valve somewere in the carb?And peace.
1972 weekender
1988 Vanagon
1968 Single cab
1984 Vanagon
1978 Transporter
1987 Cabrio
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
Josh

Post by Josh »

To sum up, the needle valves are what the floats "float up" into in the top of the carbs. When the fuel fills up in the carb bowls to the level set by the floats, the needle valves shut off more fuel from entering the carbs. If the needle valves go bad or have excess fuel pressure from the pump, fuel sneaks past the needle valve ("shut off valve") and the fuel has no where to go because the bowls are full... so it goes down the intakes into your crankcase. If you take the tops of your carbs off, flip them over and you'll see the needle valves. The new dual carbs I got form CB performance state that they'll work at 3.5-5 psi..... I have a newer electric fuel pump that I measured 3.5 psi, so I figured I was in good shape, but I was getting fuel in my crankcase. After reading Mark Harney's webpage on setting these carbs up, he says that he had to install a fuel pressure regulator and dial his pressure down to 1psi to make them work properly. I listened to Aaron and got a Holley F.P. regulator from Autozone ($13) and dialed it it to 1-1.5psi and haven't had a problem since. ***Also, before I installed the regulator I could hear the fuel dripping down the carb throat after I shut off the engine.... and that was only 3.5psi. Hope this helps, and needle valves are cheap and included in carb rebuild kits. I had a 34Pict3 carb rebuilt by Keifernet in Texas for my bug and after installing it, it leaked and allowed gas into the oil. I called Keith(Keifernet) and he said that I should replace the needle valve just to see if it helped, and it did... so lesson learned was all new needle valves aren't created equal!

Sorry to ramble, but come to think of it... if you had excess fuel pressure, wouldn't that cause a "running rich" condition... and cause your black smoke? Just a thought, others can jump in, but it sounds like you might have too much fuel pressure.

Here is a link to the regulator I got, but it's cheaper at Autozone
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc ... oduct=1135
framingsilly

Post by framingsilly »

Thanks for the imput,and it sounds like we are getting really close to solving this.I have one of those round fuel regulators.It was leaking a little gas so I took it off . Maybe if I get some differant male connectors for it it will work better.I'll through some new needle valves in.I'm hoping sinse the floats were so far out of wack ,that was my problem. But I'm still going to go threw the suggested fixes.I like that reguator Josh posted , it alimanates my T connection (something I don't like about my current dial regulator is to many connections in the engine compartment)/.Anyways I'll do thatt stuff today if i can get ahold of the neddle valve.Thanks agan!
1972 weekender
1988 Vanagon
1968 Single cab
1984 Vanagon
1978 Transporter
1987 Cabrio