Some misc projects 3

TheBigSpud

Some misc projects 3

Post by TheBigSpud »

Done a few upgrades over the last year and thought I'd catalog them for anyone interested. Don't mean to bore everyone, but they might be some things someone else may be thinking of doing and a pic is worth a zillion words or maybe something I can help you with.

Currently working on the doors and locks. It was time for the door panels to go. Like many, they had deteriorated at the bottom and just plain looked bad. I used masonite and padded 'leatherlike' covers I made up. I hesitate to use the masonite, but think it will be ok with a proper moisture barrier. I'm sure that's the cause of most of these issues. Here's a yet to be installed panel.

Put in a new inner scraper, felt channel, vent wing seal, and sound dampener in the doors. It now makes a nice 'thud' when I close the door. I think I'll apply the dampener in a number of different places. Got new door seal, not sure of the fit yet though.

With the panels off, I removed, cleaned, and rekeyed all the locks to one key :D Definitely a worthwhile project - a little tired of using the silder to unlock the front doors. I took the code off the sliders lock and had a fresh key cut to it. I then rekeyed the 2 fronts, hatch, and engine lid lock cylinders to match. Found a guy to code VW keys that has stock look 'R' profile (late bay) keys, but also cool looking vintage look 'R' keys. He also had Big black rubber headed VW 73/74 Thing keys in 'R'.

Old beat up key next to fresh cut key.
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
Six Volt

Re: Some misc projects 3

Post by Six Volt »

Updates are never boring so keep them coming! :lol: Nice job on the door panels. It never ceases to amaze me how creative LEAKOILERS are with 'home made' remedies. I've got to do the re-key on two of my locks, so you're giving me some motivation. I wish I still had my bay window stuff 'cause I'm sure I had some of those springs you're looking for. Someone will be able to help you out. Can't wait to see your bus this summer.