BnB 2010

TheBigSpud

Buses n Boats

Post by TheBigSpud »

Got an e-mail from John Baker - the official dates are May 21-23. The weekend before Memorial Day. I'm sure John will chime in with details soon.
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
wwebner

Re: Buses n Boats

Post by wwebner »

oops,same weekend as LEAKOIL campout at country stage.
Howie

Post by Howie »

Yep. And in June & July there is nearly nothing going on that is "local". We need to cook up a new campout or two on those months.
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

I hate when we have these conflicts, but they seem to be a way of life. I really like John Baker. I first met him at KI in '05. He is a great guy and a real asset to the VW community. I personally never feel I do enough to support the OVT events. I hear Busses and Boats is a great event and now I'm missing it again.

I was hoping for May 30th on Countrystage, but Gail couldn't get the site on the holiday weekend. Contrary to popular belief, Firelands was always on the holiday weekend. John's event last year was the second weekend in May so I thought maybe we'd dodge two bullets and get both events in May without a conflict. I guess not.

In any event, I've got John's dates on the event calendar. If someone can post the details or send them to me, I'll get them on the pull down calendar menu.

As for June and July, perhaps someone can suggest something.
TheBigSpud

Post by TheBigSpud »

The latest from John regarding this event:

Here it is, the long-awaited info for the "10th Annual VW Buses 'n Boats Event in
Morrow, Ohio (near Cincinnati)May 21-23, sponsored by the Ohio Valley Tribe of the Full Moon Bus Club. As always, the event will feature VW camping on the banks
of the beautiful Nationally Designated Scenic Little Miami RIver. There will be an optional canoe trip on the River Saturday morning, followed by a Cincinnati-Style chili (for those not familiar think "Skyline" or "Gold Star") dinner on Saturday evening. I will be crafting the chili, so feel free to bring some fixins to go with it like: Spaghetti noodles,
Hot dogs, buns, SHredded cheese, moonshine, or whatever you like.

All the info you need can be found at the website
http://www.busesnboats.com (A HUGE thank you to Jamie "Kooky Math Teacher" Auch for hosting and creating the event website!!)
Canoe Rental and River info can be found at http://www.littlemiamicanoe.com
Come on out and enjoy some good ole OVT midwestern
hospitality.
See you on the river!!"

Additional Info:
Camping fees: $10 per adult per night (children under 16 FREE)Register and pay with John Baker at the Campsite, NOT the Canoe rental office.

Canoeing Fees (optional): $14 per adult paddler includes all transportation, life jacket, paddle, etc.

Unfortunately there are NO electric or water hookups at the campsite (CLEAN port-o-lets are located througout the area), however there are Hot showers and flush toilets located at the Canoe rental office which is only about a 400-500 yard walk away. But the natural beauty of this site is well worth the trade-off!!

50\50 Split the pot raffle drawing: There will be a SPlit the Pot Raffle drawing with proceeeds going to the Firewood fund (that stuff ain't cheap!) so make sure you buy a ticket or 10!!

Saturday Morning Canoe Trip (optional): leaves the Canoe office at 10:30 am on Saturday Morning.

Saturday Evening Dinner: I will be making a big pot of Cincinnati Style Chili, so bring something to go with like Spaghetti noodles, Hot dogs, buns, Shredded cheese...whatever you like!!

BIKE TRAIL: The Little Miami Scenic Bike trail runs directly through the camping area, so bring your bike. I guarantee you it is one of the nicest rails-to-trails paved bike paths that you will find anywhere!

DIRECTIONS:
Little Miami Canoe Group Camping area is located in Morrow, Ohio, about 32 miles north of Downtown Cincinnati.

FROM Interstate 71:
Take Exit #32 which is the Ohio Route 123 Lebanon\Morrow exit. Go south on Route 123 toward Morrow (AWAY from LEbanon). Take Route 123 down a winding hill and into the village of Morrow. Just as you enter Morrow, you will go over a bridge crossing the Little Miami River. Immediately after the bridge you will turn LEFT onto Hamblin Rd (The Canoe rental office will be on your right, but the group camp area is to the left). Just after you turn on Hamblin, you will turn LEFT again into the Group Camp Area (look for the BnB sign pointing you). FOllow the long drive back into the camp area, crack a beer, and begin to RELAX!!

From Interste 75:
Take Exit #29 the Ohio Route 63 Monroe\Hamilton Exit. Go East on Route 63 (toward Lebanon). Take Route 63 into the town of Lebanon. In Lebanon, Route 63 turns into Route 123 (no turns or anything, just stay straight). Take ROute 123 out of Lebanon toward Morrow. A couple of miles outside of Lebanon, Route 123 crosses over I-71. Continue on Route 123 down a winding hill and into the village of Morrow. Just as you enter Morrow, you will go over a bridge crossing the Little Miami River. Immediately after the bridge you will turn LEFT onto Hamblin Rd (The Canoe rental office will be on your right, but the group camp area is to the left). Just after you turn on Hamblin, you will turn LEFT again into the Group Camp Area (look for the BnB sign pointing you). FOllow the long drive back into the camp area, crack a beer, and begin to RELAX!!

John Baker's Cell phone #(513)383-5075 , Just in case you get lost!!
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

Have a great time Spud!

We're going to make it there one of these days...... :cry:
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
TheBigSpud

BnB 2010

Post by TheBigSpud »

We broke away for the weekend and headed to the OVT Buses and Boats. A great time - camping right on the river, cinncinati chili, super nice people, and one bitchin bonfire.

Friday evening started with torential thunderstorms and a tornado siren! After that, great weather. Took a 20 mile bike ride on the very well maintained 'rails to trails' bike path on Saturday with a pub stop half way on the river -nice. Sat. evening chow in the pavillion with 'skyline' style chili and pot luck supplied by the group. Then a hooch/ice run and on to a great bonfire with music from John and Vicki. Probably 20 buses, including Rooster's sweet doubledoor split.

ImageImage

Our spot - shared with five groundhog pups (3 pictured, the other 2 didn't appreciate my proximity)
ImageImage

Roosters new rig, the ocean bus, and others

John, Rooster, and Vicki on mandolin. This fire was incredible, must have been a cord of wood on it at any given time.
ImageImageImage
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
Six Volt

Re: BnB 2010

Post by Six Volt »

Looks like it was a great time. Thanks for sharing the pictures. That looks like a fantastic campground. We'll have to get some more LEAKOILERS at some of those OVT events.