2010 Cleveland Oktoberfest

Six Volt

Re: Oktoberfest 2010

Post by Six Volt »

Howie wrote:Fantastic photos, Six Volt! I feel like I am there all over again! 8-)
Then you must be feeling pretty GOOD right about now! :lol:

Kind of long and lame, but here's the Sunday report.

I think a lot of folks woke up a little 'torn down' on Sunday. :cry:

Berea Bob, Josh and I decided to troll the flea market.

Josh was telling us about the pseudo freak show display that charged 75 cents at the flea market to enter to see the "strangest thing ever". Well, since I'm the last of the cheapskates, at 75 cents, I said, "Come on boys we're going in!" We swore ourselves to secrecy, but after getting inside, we found out that the "strangest thing ever" was just Aaron sitting in a chair smiling saying, "Hi guys". Since you all know him, we decided to let you in on the big secret! :lol:

German food vendors were jammed on Sunday.

A lot of nice VW's showed up on Sunday including...

Vermillion Bob's "JGG" bus

Ken's '63 single

Chucks '78 Paraguayan double (Actually, it was there all weekend)

Mike Roeker's '66 beetle

And yes, dare I say, after working 15 straight hours on Saturday to finish it, Kirk managed to drive his freshly restored dove blue '60 double cab.

YEEE HAWW!!! :?

The Greeks know how to ride in style! :D

The "Thinker" doesn't have to do much thinking at Oktoberfest.

Every year Ken Krol does a bus presentation with a powerpoint in the Education Building to the general public. This year Ken covered commercial transporters. Ken assembles some buses in line and they drive up as a group to the education building. Ken does a great job on this and it's the one educational event our club does all year.

Bike shop Dale brought his double door panel.

That's Sam & Dave's '68 panel in the background.

This little guy was a huge fan.

The two nicest buses in the fleet. Ken's red '63 single and Kirk's dove blue '60 double cab.

Crappy picture, but a nice turnout.

Bill and Pam made it up!

After Ken's presentation the Cleveland Orchestra (Cleveland Pops) were getting ready to play Beethoven next to our campsite.

Huge crowd turned out.

Greg and Maria were in the upper loge section. Chuck(L) and Deadhead(R) were in standing room only :lol:

Pretty impressive to see a huge crowd, the line of buses, and the orchestra! :D

Melvin was so excited he apparently broke into a dance of joy.

The concert was good!

While it would bring a smile to my face, I guess getting to sit in the back seat of a pristine split window double cab just isn't enough for some folks. :lol:

The night ended with Tom S. taking over fire duties after Howie bailed out! :lol: :lol: :lol: How's that fire looking Howie? :P
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

So where were you guys today? I went there this afternoon to find ZERO VW's!

:?
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Howie

Post by Howie »

Six Volt wrote:The night ended with Tom S. taking over fire duties after Howie bailed out! :lol: :lol: :lol: How's that fire looking Howie? :P
I'm glad to see that after all these years someone learned from me how to not build a fire with petrochemicals. ;)
And for he record, "Ride of the Valkyries" was by Wagner, unless the Pops also performed some Beethoven?
Looks like the campout re-pumped itself up after I split? Nice job!
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Dual Port wrote:So where were you guys today? I went there this afternoon to find ZERO VW's
:?
We were there early Monday, but I think Friday, Saturday & Sunday just took it's toll. After all, we're old. :lol: At least that's my excuse. :D
Howie wrote:
Six Volt wrote:The night ended with Tom S. taking over fire duties after Howie bailed out! :lol: :lol: :lol: How's that fire looking Howie? :P
I'm glad to see that after all these years someone learned from me how to not build a fire with petrochemicals. ;)
And for he record, "Ride of the Valkyries" was by Wagner, unless the Pops also performed some Beethoven?
Looks like the campout re-pumped itself up after I split? Nice job!
Yes Howie, Beethoven and Wagner.
Howie

Post by Howie »

Six Volt wrote:We were there early Monday, but I think Friday, Saturday & Sunday just took it's toll. After all, we're old.
Not so much as being old, as the lack of sufficient sleep, and spending the last of my money on food to help float the Economy, and help pay for the orchestra to come there. But the fun like we had this past weekend is priceless! :) Besides, Dual Port should have showed up on one of the first three days. Ya can't expect a big whoop-dee-do to still be going on at the tail-end of a long holiday weekend.
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
chico425

Post by chico425 »

I want to thank all the Leakoil family I met on Saturday and Sunday at the Octoberfest. You guys are great, my family and I felt very welcome. Thank you so much for your hospitality. It was great to finally meet you all.

Happens to be as I was leaving on Sunday my bus decided to break down on me, I had I call on one of my LeakOil buddy's Danny aka Dans64 to give me a hand, turns out my shift rod coupler broke so we came up with a quick fix and here is a picture. Danny wanted to send a shout out to Howie
DSC04498.JPG
Danny.jpg
DSC04503.JPG
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Great to meet you Eduardo. That '65 bus is awesome. I love the patina look, but I can understand if you eventually paint it. Glad you got the bus running. Danny is a great guy. He jumped in when my pulley broke this spring. Hope to see you at more events!
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Howie wrote:Besides, Dual Port should have showed up on one of the first three days. Ya can't expect a big whoop-dee-do to still be going on at the tail-end of a long holiday weekend.
I'm just starting to get aquainted with this VW fest thing, but I was there Sunday afternoon when there was a good turnout of Dubs present. I didn't go Saturday 'cause the weather sucked and I'm a weenie. :)
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
OldBluT2

Post by OldBluT2 »

Ok, the SC was there for most of the weekend. I climb under it for 15 minutes so I can get Kirk his starter back and the cameras come out. No pictures of it cruising through the park, hauling firewood (or trying not to run over Tom's black dog in the dark). Just four shots of me laying under it (nice angle by the way - thanks, Sean!). It ran great, just ask Kyle.
I even picked up a washer and dryer on the way home and hauled off two loads of Yew bush yesterday. Ok... there was that driver's side door fiasco, but it ran great.
'91 Vanagon Carat
'15 Jetta TSI

Others I wish I'd have had the space and money to keep:
'56 Single Cab, '68 Double Cab, '71 Hardtop Westy, '77 Pop-up Westy, '98 New Beetle, '07 Rabbit
Howie

Post by Howie »

OldBluT2 wrote:I climb under it for 15 minutes so I can get Kirk his starter back and the cameras come out.
:lol:
Howie