Tune up day 2011

Six Volt

Re: Tune up day 2011

Post by Six Volt »

Many thanks to Bill and Pam Webner for their never ending generosity by opening up Der Wagonwerks each year for 'Tune Up Day'. Bill gets there early and moves like a pinball in never ending motion. The refrains are constant. "Bill, do you know where I can find one of these?" "Bill, do you have a tool that will take this off?" Hey Bill, can you explain how this thing works?" Bill has eternal patience and multi-tasks on all questions and requests throughout the day. He is a great ambassador for the VW community. Likewise, Pam gets the food organized and we end up with gourmet meals throughout the day. Again, many thanks to both of you.

This had to be the biggest TUD turnout ever. The buses and VW's just kept coming and coming. So here are a few highlights...

This was one of the more interesting buses at TUD. A '62 owned by Mike Noble (formerly owned by West Side Danny) that had a beetle tranny that worked with stock rgb's. The work was done by Art Brau. Mike let folks drive it. It has a 1500 S/P motor. It had plenty of low torque and top speed.

One of the most interesting, (and educational), projects of the day was Ted (Toolbox) bringing a type IV motor down from Detroit Michigan and completely stripping it and cleaning it up including replacing the FI seals and fuel lines. Here it is being moved from the bed of Ted's '59 single to the stand.

These guys are not the blues brothers. Neverthless, Chuck, with his endless ranting and humorous commentary, helped Ted out and Dan lent a hand as well.

Chuck brought the "heat" in getting off some exhaust head nuts on Toolbox's Type IV motor.

Ted knew what he was doing in cleaning up this old motor. I guess the "mouse house" was being foreclosed on by Ted! :shock:

I learned a lot the FI system from watching Ted go over it. It's not nearly as intimidating once you see how it's all put together.

These two comedians eventually moved on to building a 914 motor.

This had to be the longest VW wheel bearing replacement in history! :lol:

Those wheels just don't match Schwindiman's persona. :lol:

"Carb man" Josh went from vehicle to vehicle dialing in everyone's carbs. Here he is (left) with West Side Danny (right).

This is some serious pavement illumination!

Boy's day out. The newest Cunningham got to enjoy the event with dear old Dad!

It wasn't just a day for buses. Mike brought out this super cool '56 oval.

With a roller pedal! 8-)

And handy back up gas tank! 8-) 8-)
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Thanks for doing this Bill.

Thanks to Chuck, Dand and Sean for the help. The engine is still getting a bath.

Glad I did the drive home last night, the rain right now would suck to drive in.
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

toolbox wrote:Thanks for doing this Bill.

Thanks to Chuck, Dand and Sean for the help. The engine is still getting a bath.

Glad I did the drive home last night, the rain right now would suck to drive in.
Next year we have to plan more in advance and make it a weekend event. Either with Melissa and the kids, or without, it's a lot of traveling from Detroit and back for a one day excursion. I learned a lot from watching and I'm trying to put my FI phobia back in the closet. And the biggest thing I learned? Chuck is always right! :roll: :lol:

Here are a few more...

The hardest working truck in the midwest? Ted's '59 is certainly a workhorse.

I marvel at folks like Crapatron who keep their buses so clean.

We've got to do something about the shortage of sage green Westies at LEAKOIL events. What, only three? :shock:

Kyle had his shop up the street looking like Vanagon row.

Kyle took us down there to show us Mike's '72 pancake w/stock solex carbs on the engine stand.

Kyle fired it up so we could breath some fumes. (We made sure Howie wasn't trapped inside!)

I'll never completely comprehend this deck height 'mumbo jumbo', but it was interesting watching.

You've got to love Jim's '67 Danbury camper. One of three know to exist and the only one stateside. Jim showed me the "Danbury" tag he found in the bus that put any speculation about its origin to rest.

Don't know if it was the coffee or the company, but the LEAKOIL Director of Field Operations had a smile on his face.

A lot of people didn't notice, but Josh "upgraded" his engine to a dual port over the winter. Still 6 volt though! :D We need to get Bill to fix that split in his seat.

Edwardo made it up with Danny in his split. We've got to get him some new dual port boots.

You've got to love anybody "representing" from the West Side! :lol:

That visor on Danny's bus is something else! 8-)

"Sadie instructs Tom on the fine art of boot tying. If only the dog could help Tom with those wheels.

Smittie's bus was looking good and took center stage.
Last edited by Six Volt on Wed May 18, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Howie

Post by Howie »

"LEAKOIL Director of Field Operations"???
I believe the correct title is, "Minister of Tomfoolery". :lol:
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
Don from Canton

Post by Don from Canton »

Had a great time at TUD as usual, although new-guy Joe's A-C Vanagon #1 cylinder woes had both of us chasing our tails all day! %$#&^%#$ hydraulic lifters!!!

Mr. Crapatron and I enjoyed running together on the turnpike until he split off at I-71.

Thanks Bill and Pam for hosting such a great event, and for having the miscellaneous parts everyone needs!
Don
TheBigSpud

Post by TheBigSpud »

Thanks to all - for the beer, food, education, good time.
Learned a bunch. A lot of learning comes the hard way, so this was good!
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
wolfej1

Post by wolfej1 »

Just wanted to drop a line and say that it was good meeting everyone at the Tune Up Day event. I had a good time and thanks to everyone who put their time and effort into it...

Take care
Joe
jim m

Post by jim m »

A thank you to bill.Had a great time and met some great people. It is nice to put faces with the names. Nice busses and ect..
Felt guilty not working on my van but it passed quickly.

Jim Morgan
80 vanagon
74 Super beetle
Jim Morgan
74 Super Beetle
Howie

Post by Howie »

jim m wrote:Felt guilty not working on my van but it passed quickly.
Me too. Especially after the first cup of beer from the keg. ;)
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
Lizzie76

Post by Lizzie76 »

AWWW!!!!!!! It wouldn't be TUD if SOMEBODY didnt walk around with a beer in one hand, and one hand in a pocket, watchin' us :lol:

I love my club! :D
If she's amazing, she won't be easy...
If she's easy, she won't be amazing...
Well look at that...I must be the amazingest!