Tune-up Day 2009

Ken

Re: Official tuneup day countdown....2009

Post by Ken »

[quote="Howie" This year I am hoping to install a real Engine Seal to replace my temporary duct tape and pink fiberglass insulation seal I have been driving with for the last few years. :lol:[/quote]

Way to go Howie!!! :)
As a former boss once told me "Son, you'll never learn any younger". Besides you'll have plenty of help.
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab
Don from Canton

Post by Don from Canton »

Does Bill have an exhaust analyzer at his shop? I'm gathering the pieces to put a catastrophic converter back on my Bus, but I don't want to burn it up with an overly rich mixture.
Don
Howie

Post by Howie »

I believe Bill does (or did) have an exhaust analyzer at the shop and we tried it on my bus last Tuneup Day, but it wasn't working right. Hopefully it is in workable condition now. It was like a mini-version of the one I used when I worked at E-Check, except smaller, and you could carry it around.
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Don, I do have a couple of air-fuel ratio gages that direct hook to an o2 sensor. I am hoping to to have that together for tune up day.
Bill
wwebner

Tune Up Day 2009

Post by wwebner »

OK. The date will be Sat. May 9. We will start early and have coffee and donuts and progress to
hot dogs and beer. Might even work on some busses. I hope to have the porable air/fuel meter up and running for those who want to see how there mixture is. Use this thread for any parts request that you may need.Kyle will have a FI harness or 2 for any one wanting to replace theirs.
Bill
Last edited by wwebner on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howie

Re: Tune Up Day 2009

Post by Howie »

Excellent!!!
And a note to the newer members who have not attended before, BE there!
This is a once-a-year event not to be missed!
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
framingsilly

Post by framingsilly »

Hey Kyle , I have a group of wires going to the engine compartment and 3 gauges up front that are suppost to do something .One is a tach,and maybe oil pressure.Maybe you could help me tell which wire is which?And I have a snipped wire or two.Maybe I will see ya at Basil's on Thursday.Wiring is definatly a weakspot for me.Looking forward to meeting everyone.
1972 weekender
1988 Vanagon
1968 Single cab
1984 Vanagon
1978 Transporter
1987 Cabrio
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

Last edited by WideFive on Tue May 10, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
TheBigSpud

Post by TheBigSpud »

This sound really great. 8-)

For us newer folks, what does the day consist of and what kind of work is usually performed.

Also, I'd be happy to bring some grub, grog, or whatever. Let me know what's needed.
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
Howie

Post by Howie »

TheBigSpud wrote:For us newer folks, what does the day consist of and what kind of work is usually performed
It resembles an anthill with honey poured on it, and elbows and wrenches and people borrowing Bill's tools to work on their buses. Pretty much whatever folks need to do on their bus, or need help with, or ask questions about how to fix stuff. An opportunity to mingle with some of the best air-cooled mechanics in the region. No engine-pulls or oil changes allowed, but pretty much whatever else needs fixin' gets worked on. It's a once-a-year deal, so don't miss it. Just to walk around and watch how other people do stuff is worth it in itself.
Howie