East Enders - Where are you?

OldBluT2

East Enders - Where are you?

Post by OldBluT2 »

Ok. I just returned home from Third Thursday at Basil's. I enjoy seeing everyone and hanging out but it isn't easy getting out there each month (which is why I don't). Anyone out there on the east side who would like to get together once a month somewhere more local? I was thinking somewhere in the Kent/Streetsboro area, but I'm open to suggestions on both location and day of the month. Anyone interested? David.
'91 Vanagon Carat
'15 Jetta TSI

Others I wish I'd have had the space and money to keep:
'56 Single Cab, '68 Double Cab, '71 Hardtop Westy, '77 Pop-up Westy, '98 New Beetle, '07 Rabbit
Howie

Re: East Enders - Where are you?

Post by Howie »

Oh, be a Man and make the trip to Elyria each month! I do it unless I am working, like this week. There is a crew in Akron that I could hook you up with if I can find the guy's e-dress. I forget his name right now but he has a million tats, and is very "mechanical". I know someone here will know his name. What's his name, guys?
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
OldBluT2

Post by OldBluT2 »

Ya, I noticed you weren't there last night. I enjoy coming out there, don't get me wrong, but you're about half the distance Howie. Besides I think there's a whole group of VW owners out this way who are not represented. There hasn't been anything out this way (that I'm aware of) since GASS disappeared. This is in no way meant to be a replacement for Third Thursday but in addition to. In fact, folks in the middle like yourself might get two a month!
'91 Vanagon Carat
'15 Jetta TSI

'56 Single Cab, '68 Double Cab, '71 Hardtop Westy, '77 Pop-up Westy, '98 New Beetle, '07 Rabbit
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

Last edited by WideFive on Tue May 10, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
hosedrag_r

Post by hosedrag_r »

I would be interested, as Basil's is a 2 hour drive for me and with the friendly "red & blue lights", the way there are, I could not indulge , as 1 always leads to 2.........
1967 splittie

1978 bay

1965 mustang
1989 ford f150 (r.i.p. only got 434k out of it)
02 ford explorer
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

A couple of years ago I use to meet up with Don (Canton) to exchange bus parts in Peninsula. Cool little town. It's east, but not too far for 'westenders'. I'd be into going to something in that general area. My wife and I want to go to Canton and try 'Old Carolina' ribs anyway, so Peninsula, (or whereveer), can be a VW stop on the way back.
OldBluT2

Post by OldBluT2 »

I know Peninsula well - D and I went for a 14 mile bike ride on the towpath today and our cookout is taking place just up the hill. I would be up for Peninsula if that was good for people. There's a Winking Lizard there that would probably accommodate us. I was thinking Streetsboro simply because it's easy to get to being that 480 and the turnpike take you there. I just found out about a restaurant at Aurora Farms (just slightly north of Streetsboro) that is like an old diner and has a bar. My neighbor works there and says the owner works with several other clubs. I haven't been there but it is worth looking into.
'91 Vanagon Carat
'15 Jetta TSI

Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

OldBluT2 wrote:I just found out about a restaurant at Aurora Farms (just slightly north of Streetsboro) that is like an old diner and has a bar.
Sounds good. :D
Don from Canton

Post by Don from Canton »

Elyria is a haul from Canton, not that I mind stretching the Westy's legs a bit.

Winking Lizard in Streetsboro would be great, but it's a bit busy and pricey compared to Basil's.

Sean, let me know when you want to try Carolina BBQ - it's about 10 minutes from my house!

There was talk at one time about summer meetings at the retro-Denny's at I 71 and Rt 18. Not sure what ever became of those plans...
Don
Crapatron

Post by Crapatron »

There was talk at one time about summer meetings at the retro-Denny's at I 71 and Rt 18. Not sure what ever became of those plans...

I recall talk of said plans as well, but it seems like those plans fell through the cracks along the way........If you fellas ever do decide to gather somewhere near there please post it here or somewhere related. I would be interested in getting together this summer. Hope to see some of you "southerners" in the future.

Sean and Don, let me know if you are meeting at Carolina BBQ and I will meet you (unless you dont want a "little brother" there) :P

Brett