Ohio Dirt Roads??

Crapatron

Re: Ohio Off-road??

Post by Crapatron »

Not sure what all the requirements are or what everyone is looking for, but…..

Southington Offroad Park - 10321 Silica Sand Rd, Garrettsville, OH 44231

http://www.southingtonoffroad.com

A bit more of the "if you can read this, roll me over sticker crowd" I think, but I know that they have trails that aren't geared toward "wheeling" that may interest people. Plus, it should fall within the previously mentioned 100 mile radius. There is a cost involved. food for thought.
Marla

Post by Marla »

Maria...100 miles is because most people up there seem to be afraid to travel further than that from home base...
I totally understand the 100 mile rule of thumb. I guess what I am asking is, what is considered "home base" to determine what the range of 100 miles really is? If I take off from Cleveland my 100 mile radius is very different then someone from Toledo. So, If I were looking on line for a venue, what should I use as that origin point? This is just so I can help and offer suggestions. This is me being helpful :lol:

BTW, that place in Garretsville is very near Nelson Ledges State Park, a Winery (Candlelight Winery) and a shooting range (A &A Shooting and Hunting Club) for those of you looking for other things to do in addition to off roading... Just some thoughts.

Oh and one last thing, my name is Marla. Not that I am upset or anything, my sister is Maria and it often gets confused. :)
Last edited by Marla on Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
vw7266

Post by vw7266 »

oops i'll correct it..

Aaron told me wrong :D
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

The place in Garrettsville is sounding better all the time.
BTW for about $2.00 per period (usually 6 mos) you can add "towing re embursement) to your auto insurance. They will pay the additional charges for towing beyond the 100 mile AAA limit. ;)
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

macaia8475 wrote:
Maria...100 miles is because most people up there seem to be afraid to travel further than that from home base...

Oh and one last thing, my name is Marla. Not that I am upset or anything, my sister is Maria and it often gets confused. :)
Jan Brady wrote:
Marsha, Marsha, Marsha
:)
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

I kind of look at myself as the unwitting father of the 100 mile AAA limit, so I guess its my time to weigh in. :lol:

First off, I think driving events are a great idea. The whole idea of an "on road" or "off road" cruise with camping (and some other events thrown in) will always be a hit. Our little Metroparks cruise, while admttedly lame on distance, always seems to reinforce the view that getting out and driving our vehicles (in mass) is really a lot of fun. The "Kruise and Kamp" at Ken's in 2012 with the winery and Erie Kia bar stop were really well attended and a lot of fun. Likewise, Chuck's "Urban Jungle" campout had a nice litltle cruise through downtown Cleveland. Many of us have been on the Saturday morning Dixie Bus cruise to the Columbus show that is always a lot of fun. Nevertheless, all of these are obviously short on distance.

We've talked about others. There was some talk of doing something in Amish Country if we could agree on a camp area and then plan a 100 mile route with stops through the small towns and villages. There was also some talk of doing something in connection with the MId Ohio races or the vintage motorcycle days held there. I think all of these ideas being suggested are great. We just need someone to step up, plan it and go for it.

Now about the 100 mile limit. I know Aaron and Brad have great fun (especially at my expense! :lol: ) about me not really going anywhere in my bus. I hear them, but at my age I have no interest going 65 MPH in 50 plus year old bus for 8 to 10 hours at a time. Just not my cup of tea. But I do admire those that do. ;)

I don't mind the miles, it's how they're travelled. I went to Columbus last year, admittedly not a long trip, but I ENJOYED the ride taking Rt. 13 and other roads that let me enjoy driving an old split case small nut transmission bus. Maybe if I had a freeeway flyer and front disc brakes, I'd feel differently? :?

I'll gladly go well beyond 100 miles. (AAA premium gives you a 200 mile tow! :lol: ) So I'm in for a longer trip if I can enjoy it in the right lane or better yet in the southbound lane of a two lane road. :lol:
vw7266

Post by vw7266 »

sean just needs this

think about it...disc brakes, armrests, cup holders, room to stretch out!

Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

vw7266 wrote:sean just needs this

think about it...disc brakes, armrests, cup holders, room to stretch out!

If I'm in one of those there's no way WSD is rolling next to me! :lol:
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

RE: AAA "free" towing.

If you guys average out what you're paying for AAA per year and how many times per decade you use their "free" towing, does it really pay off? You'd have to be towed more than a few times per decade for it to be cost effective. In the last 15 years driving classic cars, I've been towed once. How much is regular AAA and how much is Plus? I'm thinking it's not worth it.....

:mrgreen:
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

When your daily drivers are shit boxes AAA sure is nice to have. In years past I've used all of my 4 yearly tows and used at least 2 a year most years. Haven't used it in the last couple years though.
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."