Ohio Dirt Roads??

Mike Kever Kombi

Re: Ohio Off-road??

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

Dual Port wrote:RE: AAA "free" towing.

If you guys average out what you're paying for AAA per year and how many times per decade you use their "free" towing, does it really pay off? You'd have to be towed more than a few times per decade for it to be cost effective. In the last 15 years driving classic cars, I've been towed once. How much is regular AAA and how much is Plus? I'm thinking it's not worth it.....

:mrgreen:
None of my houses have burned to the ground in the 20 years I've owned them. When you factor in the cost of homeowner insurance over the life of the home is it worth it to have?

Scientific findings have proven that your car doesn't break down 2 blocks from your house when you have a pocket full of 100s.

Plus, I ise mine for more than just break downs. Sometimes I use it to transport cars from one place to another. Doesn't have to be just for your classic either, covers any car, even ones you don't own.
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
Josh

Post by Josh »

AAA loses money on me!
vw7266

Post by vw7266 »

WideFive wrote:When your daily drivers are shit boxes AAA sure is nice to have. In years past I've used all of my 4 yearly tows and used at least 2 a year most years. Haven't used it in the last couple years though.
that's cause you have me there whenever your shit breaks to fix it or go and get a tire for it etc :D

I don't have AAA but I have towing/road side under my insurance from State Farm and yes Ive used it...ask Aaron

Also I like how folks cleverly shifted the focus of this thread off an actual event to a conversation about towing there fore negating the need of an event that could take place over 100 miles away :lol: :P ;) :D :D
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

While we are way off topic :lol: I have had several customers have their vehicles towed to or from the body shop to my shop. Some of these distances were near the 100 mile limit. the cost of these tows would have been more than the cost of AAA membership. I have done this myself when purchasing a vehicle. I recently had my 92 Cabriolet towed about 3 miles home for a problem I could have fixed along side the road,but it was cold and raining. easier to deal with at home in a nice warm shop. Bruce and Mike both have valid points, insurance is always a roll of the dice. The "towing re embursement available from your auto insurer is a very good deal although it only covers towing and you have to pay the towing bill and then get re embursed.
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

vw7266 wrote:or go and get a tire for it etc :D
Yeah, you saved my ass that time. Would have been a long tow home.

So back on topic....

I think we have enough interest for someone other than me to put in the time/effort to organize an event :D

Spring would be nice and muddy :) If my '64 isn't on the road by then I'll drive the 4Runner so I can pull out all the stuck Synchros :lol:
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Mike Kever Kombi wrote: None of my houses have burned to the ground in the 20 years I've owned them. When you factor in the cost of homeowner insurance over the life of the home is it worth it to have?
C'mon, Mike, you know that is not a valid comparison. We're talking a hundred dollar tow, not a 100K home replacement. Anyway, for me, AAA would be a huge waste of money. I do regularly drive my vehicles past 100 miles from home and not think twice about it, if the car breaks down, so what, deal with it. It's part of the journey.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

As for the topic, it would be cool to have an off-road gig in Ohio we could go to, my sandrails are long gone at this point and I have only on-road vehicles so I would only be a spectator. Larry's Off Road in Dayton must have some leads on trails in that area, his main gig is rails......
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Mike Kever Kombi

wwebner wrote:Bruce and Mike both have valid points...

While Bruce and Mike may both have valid points, Brad has the most valid
vw7266 wrote:
Also I like how folks cleverly shifted the focus of this thread off an actual event to a conversation about towing there fore negating the need of an event that could take place over 100 miles away :lol: :P ;) :D :D

I have emailed the place that Brett had suggested, for a weekend in May"ish", with camping for 10-15 vehicles.

I will post the response when I get one, and we can decide if that is the place to go or not.
Last edited by Mike Kever Kombi on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

1961 Microbus

1975 Westfalia

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
Crapatron

Post by Crapatron »

I have emailed the place that Bret had suggested, for a weekend in May"ish", with camping for 10-15 vehicles. I will post the response when I get one, and we can decide if that is the place to go or not.
Thanks Mike. I sent a message to a friend of mine who has been to Southington a couple of times and may know the names of some of the trails that may best suit us. I will post the response with any other pertinent details.
Oh and one last thing, my name is Marla. Not that I am upset or anything, my sister is Maria and it often gets confused. 
Oh and one last thing, my name is Brett (two t). Not that I am upset or anything, but I am often confused with Bret Michaels (one t) and don't wish to perpetuate the issue.  :)
Mike Kever Kombi

Crapatron wrote:I am often confused with Bret Michaels and don't wish to perpetuate the issue.  :)

The resemblance is remarkable, an easy mistake to make.
Mike

1961 Microbus

1975 Westfalia

SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

Not sure how many people would partake in a 4x4 "park" or even if it's the best option, but I was thinking more along the lines of logging/fire roads through the woods type of thing.
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi