Ohio Dirt Roads??

wwebner

Re: Ohio Off-road??

Post by wwebner »

Pam and I have done that trip. Once we got down there it was a nice drive. there are several primitive camp areas along this route,some next to one of the bridges. However,at times we thought we were on the set of deliverance :lol: bullet holes in the out house and signs :o . We kept driving down to Marietta,a nice town on the river. Still looking for a place to camp we continued up RT.33 towards Athens and finally found Strouds Run State park,which was a bit difficult to find,non existent signs and a distance down some country roads. there is a nice lake and a nice large "primitive"campground.No facilities. Which was fine. Interestingly,in the middle of July,the place was empty. It was an enjoyable 3 day trip and I made a point of staying on old State routes and county roads. One criteria for a trip like we are discussing would be to utilize this type of road,of which there are many,south and east of us. This makes it easier to keep a group of buses together and is very pleasant driving. Avoiding larger towns and going through
very small towns,Americana. Someone with the time could probably find a route via google earth and I know ther are a few on this forum who are familiar with some of these routes and roads. we have a few months and I think it would be a great time. A couple of interesting stops on the way to some destination and the same on the way back could make for an enjoyable week end.
Bill
Crapatron

Post by Crapatron »

Dual Port wrote:I actually think Southington looks most likely for the 100 mile guys with 2wd. Is there camping nearby? I'd be willing to go check it out with someone.....
The Southington website says
We are a family friendly park that includes a modern bath house / campground with electric / large pavilion and our cabin where you can purchase drinks and enjoy various options for lunch! There is a 30+ acre lake and 2 ponds for fishing, and all the mud, sand, rocks and hills you can handle.
CraigOnTheBoat

Post by CraigOnTheBoat »

I have spend a lot of time down in this area. Great untraveled back wooded roads which I would consider "bus friendly offroad"
64 Campmobile
87 Syncro
obsoleteman

Re: Ohio Dirt Roads??

Post by obsoleteman »

You need to contact Terry Lowe in Warsaw/Walhonding area of Ohio, not too far west from Coshocton.
Terry has a place all set up for both off road and camping, where he loves to host V.W. Events. It is Central to Ohio and in most LeakOil member's AAA-Zones.
Remark

Post by Remark »

Plan something and I will do everything I can to be there! I drive from Findlay to Buses and Boats every May, and that's at least 100 miles on old SR 68! Sounds like this trip could be a blast!
Those that are easily offended and can't understand sarcasm shouldn't try to talk to me!!!
71 Westy
73 Bug (the wife's)
obsoleteman

Post by obsoleteman »

Contact Information;
Buggy Boys
Walhonding Hills Campground
32236 Township Road 364
Walhonding, Ohio
740-824-4575
www.walhondinghillscampground.com
www.walhondinhillscampgound.com/buggyboys.htm
CraigOnTheBoat

Post by CraigOnTheBoat »

Walhonding Hills Campground
Been there and the owner is a Dillhole
64 Campmobile
87 Syncro
obsoleteman

Post by obsoleteman »

Hopefully we are talking about a different person.
The Terry Lowe I have known for twenty years presented some shows in the Wooster/Wayne County area in the 1990's before moving south. They were small but well done and fairly well attended. He was always kind to all and made an sincere effort to make the event worthy and fun to attend.
WestsideDan

Post by WestsideDan »

MAN! i was looking forward to testing this out :twisted: :twisted:
Attachments
vw off road.jpg
vw off road.jpg (8.16 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
jpeters

Post by jpeters »

I was emailing back and forth with Tom a little bit today and we were talking about the Belmont/Monroe County area and this topic came up.

I live in Monroe County and there are plenty of hilly gravel back roads down in this area. Some with stream crossings, some barely maintained, etc. There are also some places where mud could be found if that is what the people want, but I haven't been into that scene since I was a teenager so I'd have to verify all those same spots are available.

My wife and I also have a couple of large pasture fields that are suitable for camping, fires, etc. No real amenities, but suitable for an overnight of camping. Just throwing the idea out there in case you end up in the area.
73 Westy
68 Westy
65 Westy
65 Bug
63 Bug