A Tour of Local German Fare

Marla

A Tour of Local German Fare

Post by Marla »

Hello Everyone.... I am just tossing this one out there.

On July 3rd a few of us will be heading up to Das Schnitzel Haus, located on Pearl Road in Parma (Between Brookpark and Snow). There will be outside beers and good eats. Whoever wants to join in, come on out and have some fun. What better way is there to kick off the holiday weekend?

The Website is http://dshparma.com/

I am thinking we can start a tour of German fares thoughout the area, east side, west side, south etc... Next on our list is Der Braumeister in West Park. Date to be determined. (We will work around the event calendar) http://derbraumeister.com/

If anyone has some ideas of good German food locations, let me know. We can get this tour started. :D
Last edited by Marla on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
Mike Kever Kombi

Re: Das Schnitzel Haus - July 3rd

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

As long as there is Dirndls involved, I'm in.
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
Westygirl

Post by Westygirl »

Are we meeting someplace and doing a caravan to the restaurant?
Mike Kever Kombi

Depending on the number of westsiders (bay, rr, westlake, lakewood, westpark) we could meet up someplace central, and drive down in a group
Mike

1961 Microbus

1975 Westfalia

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Come on up north!!!

The Dakota Inn, it's deep in the hood but worth it.
he Dakota Inn Rathskeller was opened on August 1, 1933 by Karl Kurz, the Grandfather of Karl E. Kurz, the present owner. EIGHTY years later, Detroit’s only authentic German bar is still going strong!

While Grandfather Kurz worked at Mr. Ford’s Highland Park auto factory, he dreamed of opening his own business. He bought the old dilapidated Chinese hand laundry on John R near Dakota, in the heart of Detroit’s German community.

At night and on the weekends, Karl worked at renovating the building into a German style Rathskeller, just like the ones he remembered from his native Wiekersheim, Germany.

On August 1, 1933, he opened a tiny, three stool Rathskeller. For three generations the Kurz family have worked serving their customers and expanding the original building into the colorful and antique-filled treasure it is today.

On April 2, 1935 Karl Kurz organized a group of regular customers and called them the Just Right Club. The purpose of the Just Right Club is to bring together regular male Dakota Inn Rathskeller patrons in a social atmosphere of friendship and Gemutlichkeit. The German word “Gemutlichkeit” means to “enjoy fully ones friends in a pleasant atmosphere.”

Third generation, Karl E. Kurz is actively running the restaurant. The restaurant has been in the same family for 80 years.

The restaurant seats 145 and is just over 2000 square feet. The restaurant is filled with German beer steins, trophy animal heads taken on family hunting trips and family pictures. The restaurant has that authentic “old-world” feeling that comes from the polished dark wood furniture and wall paneling, hand-painted German scenes from Grandfather Kurz’s childhood and servers decked out in traditional German style clothing.

Once a year, the Dakota Inn Rathskeller pitches its yellow-and-white striped tent and has Detroit’s only authentic German beer garden complete with oompah bands and polka contests. For the entire month of October, the Dakota Inn Rathskeller celebrates ‘Germany’s traditional fall Oktoberfest” in the main hall.

The Dakota has a downstairs banquet room called the Rathskeller for private parties up to 50 people. We kick off the Holiday season on Thanksgiving weekend and bring the season alive with our weekly sing-along of Christmas carols.

The Inn also offers off-premise catering, specializing in Oktoberfest parties.

The Dakota Inn Rathskeller was listed in the State Register of Historic Sites, on June 30,1988, by the Michigan Historical Commission.

Mike Kever Kombi

I'll be there in a couple weeks, when you wanna meet up
Mike

1961 Microbus

1975 Westfalia

Marla

Post by Marla »

Westygirl wrote:Are we meeting someplace and doing a caravan to the restaurant?
I don't live too far from here, so will probably just go straight to the restaurant. I will probably be there around 5:30 or so.
It's Marla with an " L"
Marla

Post by Marla »

[quote="toolbox"]Come on up north!!!

This place looks really neat. Maybe we'll make a trip of it. Thanks for the suggestion Ted.

Definitely looks like there will be dirndls there.
It's Marla with an " L"
TRL

Post by TRL »

My friend Branka (owner of Schnitzel Haus) just wants a rough idea on attendance before the event so PM me or post up that your coming. They are looking forward to the "German Invasion" :lol:
The Rick Lang
Mike Kever Kombi

macaia8475 wrote:
toolbox wrote:Come on up north!!!
This place looks really neat. Maybe we'll make a trip of it. Thanks for the suggestion Ted.

Definitely looks like there will be dirndls there.
I looked in to hitting this place up while we are up there.......according to their calendar, they are closed for most of the summer :(
Mike

1961 Microbus

1975 Westfalia