Tune Up Day 2016

Mike Kever Kombi

Re: Tune Up Day 2016

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

wwebner wrote: I have a supply of multi fuel hose in stock in both 5mm (carbs) and 7mm (FI) also fuel filters.
This is a good project for anyone still using old lines. Especially the cloth braided ones. They are junk. Do not let anyone tell you different. Continental is the brand most suppliers name as their cloth braided fuel line.

CONTINENTAL # N203551

Continental itself does not list specs on this hose, and it is not listed under their multi fuel selections. They list it as vacuum/vapor/fuel line. No mention of ethanol compatability. I'm sure it is fine with 100% gasoline. Ohio does not have Labelling requirement for pumps (last I checked) meaning ethanol up to maximum federal permissible levels does not have to be disclosed. Most places around here use up to 10% ethanol. With 15% becoming the new norm.

Even auto manufactures agree that much ethanol damages plastic and rubber components. For a while (and maybe still) Mercedes and Volkswagen both would not honor warranty claims pertaining to fuel components and new cars if e15 was used.

The few places that do sell the cloth braided hose are all over the board with their information (none list a link or direct tech sheet). Some say compatible with higher octane fuels (ambiguous at best), some say can handle UP TO 10% ethanol (again no citations given, and with e15 becoming the new minimum standard it's a moot point), and some even go as far as to state fuel lines must be replaced yearly. Really? When's the last time you got under your 2012 Kia/Honda/Chevy to do your yearly fuel line replacement?....never. That's just nonsense.

I'm not trying to start a debate, because there is none. Old lines in general, and cloth lines in particular need to be replaced. Go ahead and respond with manufacturers supporting documentation saying that cloth braided hose is compatible with e15 if I am wrong.

It's not a hard task to do, even for a beginner. If bill has stock of fuel line, buy it and install on tune up day. Or buy it and install later. If he runs out there are some within the club that may have stock, ask them (I keep 5mm on hand). Or do a club group buy. Belmetric is an online source, and I think Mick at EFA may have bought some stock last go round.

Or you could always just make sure Your insurance is paid up, which is probably good advice any how.
Last edited by Mike Kever Kombi on Fri May 06, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Mike Kever Kombi wrote:
wwebner wrote: I have a supply of multi fuel hose in stock in both 5mm (carbs) and 7mm (FI) also fuel filters.
This is a good project for anyone still using old lines. Especially the cloth braided ones. They are junk. Do not let anyone tell you different. Continental is the brand most suppliers name as their cloth braided fuel line.

CONTINENTAL # N203551

Continental itself does not list specs on this hose, and it is not listed under their multi fuel selections. They list it as vacuum/vapor/fuel line. No mention of ethanol comparability. I'm sure it is fine with 100% gasoline. Ohio does not have Labelling requirement for pumps (last I checked) meaning ethanol up to maximum federal permissible levels does not have to be disclosed. Most places around here use up to 10% ethanol. With 15% becoming the new norm.

Even auto manufactures agree that much ethanol damages plastic and rubber components. For a while (and maybe still) Mercedes and Volkswagen both would not honor warranty claims pertaining to fuel components and new cars if e15 was used.

The few places that do sell the cloth braided hose are all over the board with their information (none list a link or direct tech sheet). Some say compatible with higher octane fuels (ambiguous at best), some say can handle UP TO 10% ethanol (again no citations given, and with e15 becoming the new minimum standard it's a moot point), and some even go as far as to state fuel lines must be replaced yearly. Really? When's the last time you got under your 2012 Kia/Honda/Chevy to do your yearly fuel line replacement?....never. That's just nonsense.

I'm not trying to start a debate, because their is none. Old lines in general, and cloth lines in particular need to be replaced. Go ahead and respond with manufacturers supporting documentation saying that cloth braided hose is compatible with e15 if I am wrong.

It's not a hard task to do, even for a beginner. If bill has stock of fuel line, buy it and install on tune up day. Or buy it and install later. If he runs out there are some within the club that may have stock, ask them (I keep 5mm on hand). Or do a club group buy. Belmetric is an online source, and I think Mick at EFA may have bought some stock last go round.

Or you could always just make sure Your insurance is paid up, which is probably good advice any how.
What he said./\ /\

Bel-Metric is a good source for all kinds of good stuff for your vehicles. I am running a Ford line that is Viton lined made for E85 vehicles and I have not found any issues in 12 years during inspections. Just make sure the hose is rated SAE 30R9 and you are good to go.

Here is a Conti spec sheet on their hose.... http://www.veyance.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=5144

http://www.veyance.com/WorkArea/Downloa ... x?id=25307
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Feel free to park on the lawn.
Lagrange RD. Parking.jpg
Lagrange RD. Parking.jpg (26.44 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

John wrote:Any body near Berea Spud nuts i will reimburse you for a dozen
My shop is about 100 yards from there, I'll pick some up.

:)
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
thumper

Tune up day 2016

Post by thumper »

Some pics...
thumper

Re: Tune up day 2016

Post by thumper »

more pics
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Glad to see Gail is "posting them up"! Great time seeing everyone after another long winter.

First off, special thanks to Bill and Pam for the great hospitality. I can't say enough about how far they both extend themselves on behalf of our humble club time and time again. And let's not forget, Pam did it on Mother's Day weekend. I had to leave just before noon for a birthday party, but had a great time seeing everyone!

It was great to meet a couple of new members. And it was great that Aaron (Widefive) stopped by.

So how about a few additional pics?

That's Craig (who along with his lovely wife Brenda came up) and Jim with his back turned and Jim's bug which needed some attention to the vacuum line on the auto stick.

The LEAKOIL ladies were hovering around "something" over there (begins with a d and ends in an s), while Lurch was getting ready to step up for Jim and his bug issues. Mike (back to you) was busy plotting the attainment of free beer tomorrow for Leakoil members! And I support his efforts!

Dan Bill and Jim. Jim was worried about his fuel pump on his Vanagoon, but as we shall see Brandon gave it a clear bill of health.

Thankfully the spring rains didn't limit grass parking. That's Craig and Brenda's split in the foreground.

What else can be said about Ken's Dad's single? Well its Ken's now, but it was his Dad's at one point. Awesome VW that I look over every time I'm near it.

Two of the biggest TURDS in the LEAKOIL fleet. The Lurchmobile and the Booger.

The new guy Paul brought this cool Porsche. Not sure if its a '57 on a beetle body? Or something like that?

Whatever it is, it's a pretty cool car.

A lot faster than anything I'm rolling....

Bruce jumped in to help Craig with compression test. I heard some numbers but I better let Craig weigh in on the results. That's Chuck in the blue shirt talking to Virginia (I think).

Brandon, you don't need to wash your hands after working on a Vanagoon! John is offended! Brandon gave Jim's fuel pump a clean bill of health.

I love the new trend in mechanics headgear.

Try not to kill anyone when you're pulling out. Word is, Brandon left a trail of carnage.

Mick from Euclid Foreign has had this beetle for over 20 years. Its a stock 1973.

I think he has one of those Reading 34 PICT-3's

I remember this bus from one of the Metropark Cruises, but I don't know who owns it.

I must have Alzheimers (probably misspelled) because I can't remember who's bus this is, but I love it! That's "Hey Ed's" split on the left.

65Westy

Post by 65Westy »

I second Sean's comments about Pam and Bill being great hosts. Thanks to Bruce for the diagnosis, although its not what I wanted to hear. Three of the cylinders were in the 80s and the fourth one was only 40. Yikes! Looks like a new engine is in our future. It was great to see everyone after the long winter and to meet some new friends too. I see Chuck still has his ability to sleep in his chair.
Craig

1963 Beetle
1972 Schnepp XL13 Formula Vee
1972 Caldwell D13 Formula Vee
1971 Super Beetle convertible
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

A very big thanks to Dan and TRL for jumping in and getting one of my oldest VW friend's Jim Hemphling's autostick shifting like new. We now have a couple of autostick experts :lol:
autostick.jpg
PAUL

Post by PAUL »

Hi Folks,
I wanted to say thanks to all of you for making a "new guy" feel welcome to the Leakoil world. A particular thanks to Bill and Pam for hosting the Tune up Day 2016 event and to Bruce for the knowledge he provided. Mostly, I want to thank Ken for inviting me to meet such a cool group of people. I'm honored and am looking forward to the next get together.
Paul (the guy with the little 356)
Paul Burke
1968 Panel Van- "Porsche Renndienst" Recreation
1971 Porsche 914 - 2 liter
1957 Speedster Recreation-1776
2008 Audi TT
Vespa Scooter "Vesparado's" member