VWs in the Vineyard 2016 July 22-24

blue71

VWs in the Vineyard 2016 July 22-24

Post by blue71 »

Well, at the end of June I'll be moving back to Ohio to continue the job hunt from a less expensive base of operations. Plus I'm getting sick of Omaha being 100 degrees and renewing a lease isn't in the cards.

SO I talked to my parents and they are amenable to having a second VWs in the Vineyard campout for all the VW folks I know. We've decided on the weekend of July 22nd-24th after the music in Oberlin since that's only about 12 miles east of them.

This is also the weekend of my father's birthday so there will probably be family and family friends around as well. They have 5 acres, some taken up by woods, others taken up by the vineyard. We're not too keen on folks driving through the vineyard to park between the rows. There are flat spots and hilly spots. We can find something to act as a stop to keep you from rolling away down the hill into the Vermilion River (no easement for access, sadly). There is plenty of space on their property for folks to group up for camping, a few screen tents, a pool, though only one place for a fire. Unfortunately the hot tub has developed a bad jet and the board is toast so it's not available.

Not much in the way of power hookups. Pending the number of people (VW groups related and family/friends) we may rent a porta-potty.

Food:

Potluck, share, bring your own, etc. They have an outdoor pizza oven my dad and his friend designed/made that can make one in about 2 minutes, so whatever you like on pizza bring it and my mom and I will see about making a few large batches of dough. There's also a firepit and a grill for cooking on/in.

Drink:

Obviously there will be some wine available, other alcohol or soda etc at your discretion.

House/yard-keeping:

Pets will need to be leashed to a person or bus at all times and picked up after. There would be a sand bucket or something for cigarette butts. We don't want my sister's kids getting into anything carelessly left in the yard when they're playing. This will be a family friendly gathering at my parents' house.

After some thinking and discussion with my dad about my vineyard campout that will also have his friends and some relatives attending he suggested this: In order to see as many VW people I know as possible I'll have the first vineyard event with Leakoil folks this month and other folks at a later date next month.
Last edited by blue71 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nick a.k.a. Parts-whore, Young Nick, Subwoofer Nick, Nebraska Nick, Doc, the Amish connection.

Now: 1967 bug, 68 westy, 70 bus, 70 westy, 70 bug (FS), 71 westy, 71 bug
Past: 58 bug, 66 bug, 68 bug, 68 westy, 71 super, 74 super
Mike Kever Kombi

Re: VWs in the Vineyard 2016?

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

Sounds like a good time. Should have a bus for this one....never know with Boogs however.
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
wwebner

Re: VWs in the Vineyard 2016 July 22-24

Post by wwebner »

Sounds like a good time Nick. Pam and I plan on attending. Not sure if we will be able to stay for camping.
blue71

Re: VWs in the Vineyard 2016 July 22-24

Post by blue71 »

A headcount would be great to start putting together so we can make the right amount of dough next week. Some of my parents' friends will be around, as well as my sister's family, maybe the neighbors as well.

So far I've heard from Bill, Mike and Kristen, Howie, Dan (lurch), Dave (busjunky), Tim Adkins, probably a few I've forgotten.
Nick a.k.a. Parts-whore, Young Nick, Subwoofer Nick, Nebraska Nick, Doc, the Amish connection.

wwebner

VW's in the vineyard

Post by wwebner »

A big thanks to Nick and his parents Val and Dale for their hospitality. Val, the brick oven pizza was nothing less than awesome. You may have ruined my life,as I may not be able to eat any other pizza again :lol:
Howie

Re: VW's in the vineyard

Post by Howie »

DITTO what Bill said! That pizza oven was cranking them out one after another with every kind of topping from bacon & blue cheese, artichokes & mushrooms, and even a pulled BBQ pork pizza! Thank you again for your hospitality, Nick, Val and Dale!
Attachments
Vineyard13.jpg
Vineyard07.jpg
Vineyard04.jpg
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
blue71

Re: VW's in the vineyard

Post by blue71 »

Thanks for coming out in the hellish heat.