Camp Qwesty 2020...Don't Miss it!

Dual Port

Re: Camp Qwesty 2020...Don't Miss it!

Post by Dual Port »

Outside of the Gilmore Museum near Kalamazoo. Strange group of busses, with only ONE (John's on the far left) having a stock gas engine. Next to his is Lee's diesel Vanagon, undoubtedly the slowest vehicle ever built and certainly can't outrun an early splitty. Next is mine with the 1904, Alan's (from VA) with a trick everything- diesel TDI, IRS, hydraulic clutch, trick balljoint front end with rack and pinion, etc. He's put 40K on it since he built it going to VW events all over NA. Next are the two Vanarus, both Subaru conversions. I've been under Rob's and I'm impressed with the quality and fit of the repower. Really classy install.

That sky is not fake, that's how the weather was the entire trip! We had rain in the middle of the night twice (who cares!) and a short shower while driving but no big deal. It only broke 80 one day, the rest were in the mid 70's. I wore shorts every day and only put my jacket on one evening by the fire.
IMG_8481.jpg
Lee had tees made for us.
IMG_8512.jpg
Alan had a lot of bad luck on this trip, starting out with a clutch that didn't want to disengage properly. Here he is during the only daytime rain adjusting it.
IMG_8529.jpg
Last edited by Dual Port on Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Lots of disguised mfr vehicles being tested in the sand. Also saw 4dr Broncos.
20200902_144954.jpg

Lee and his 14 YO son, Luke, who will have plenty to talk about at school.
20200903_110751.jpg
Were we thrashing those Teryx's? These pops were in the cooler!
20200903_113535.jpg
Group shot at the back of the sand truck.
FullSizeR(1).jpg

IMG_3099.jpg
First we rode in the sand truck, then rented the Jeeps, then the Teryx's. This was the perfect training for what we were in for- a ride, then a Jeep with a lead instructor to teach us how to climb a dune and more importantly, what NOT to do, then the Teryx, also with a lead instructor for a short time, then, boys, you're on your own for a couple of hours! The Kawasaki Teryx's are 800cc 4wd and haul ass! They cost $15-20K new. I would never take my own buggy there to thrash- much more cost effective to rent.
IMG_8545.jpg
Alan had not only the clutch issue but a door latch fail, but the worst was a load of bad diesel fuel which made his bus run like shit. He was alone on his way back in Ohio when it happened (he left early due to another engagement) and barely made it to a hotel for the night. He was able to get help at a truckstop draining and disposing of the bad fuel but found out (too late) that it had plugged his filter too. It delayed him a full day getting it sorted out, and we were not nearby to help him. :cry:
620782502.jpg
IMG_8605.jpg
Casualties: Me, after being assulted by a squirrell with a deadly walnut. The only thing Bus 2 needed was the idle speed adjusted during the trip. It used about a half quart of oil.
20200831_182747.jpg
Rob ran over a concrete parking stop and did some damage to the bottom of his van but not enough to delay the trip. Closer inspection at home today showed a bashed fuel tank, collapsed exhaust, and bent Subaru motor mount brackets that will need fixing. Nothing major but will remind him not to drive over big heavy immobile stuff. :mrgreen: John had a bad dist cap causing a misfire but got one from the FLAPS and had it fixed quickly.

All in all, a GREAT trip. We're already talking about destinations for next year and hope others can join. I know I/we will be going back to Silver Lake Dunes, that's for sure.
IMG_0577.jpg
Attachments
20200902_145238.jpg
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Dual Port wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:04 pm Next to his is Lee's diesel Vanagon, undoubtedly the slowest vehicle ever built and certainly can't outrun an early splitty.
An early SO23 Westy with a stock 36HP can't outrun a tricycle. My money's on the Goon! :lol:

Looks like a great trip! :D

Where'd he get the bad diesel? Is that rare to happen? What contaminates it?
rallytwo

Re: Camp Qwesty 2021...Don't Miss it!

Post by rallytwo »

I agree with Bruce.... great vacation!!!
So many awesome memories..... awesome people.....awesome weather and last but not least awesome vehicles.
We were on the go from day one and never stopped.... cool auto, RV, and truck museums, cool camping in state parks of Michigan and Indiana particularly Pokagon State Park in Angola, Indiana and Silver Lake State Park in Mears, Michigan. Riding the dunes of Silver Lake was a thrill of a lifetime!! Along the way we also rode a diesel powered large paddle wheel boat up and down the Kalamazoo River in Michigan and then hit the go-karts ( here it was discovered that we had a very competitive group on the track). We also had some great meals at the campsite in the evenings (crockpot pizza was a hit) also grilled chicken, hot dogs, and hamburgers. Never rode on highways or interstates (well... because we had a diesel Vanagon in the group) and saw some of the beautiful landscapes of the countryside and small towns of the midwest. I would do it again tomorrow.....
well definitely next year....
Announcing Camp Qwesty 2021, going viral again... Dates and locations to be finalized by January 2021. Anyone interested in joining us can reply to this post.
1972 Ghia
1973 Thing x 2
1985 Vanagon Westy
1987 Vanagon Westy
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Six Volt wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:09 am

Where'd he get the bad diesel? Is that rare to happen? What contaminates it?
Wow, I could write a book in response to those questions. I'll cut it down to a few bullet points:

-Alan bought the bad fuel from a small gas station in a small town, not a good thing to do. With diesels you want to buy from a high volume supplier that sells a lot of fuel, this will keep his tanks clean. Generally a brand name supplier next to an interstate is the safest bet.

- Diesels are more susceptible to fuel quality issues, and can be more expensive to repair. Bad gas in a gasoline vehicle usually means running it through and living with it, or draining the tank and replacing it.

-Fuel contamination is usually from water or condensation in the fuel and much more common in diesels that gasoline vehicles. I've seen about 100x more contaminated diesel fuel systems than gas systems at the shop. Damage from the fuel is unusual in a gas vehicle. Damage from contaminated diesel fuel can be extremely expensive, many times in the thousands of dollars. Cross fueling is the worst (gasoline in a diesel truck, or putting DEF in the fuel tank). I have seen extreme cases in late model trucks where the repair bill was in excess of $20,000 to repair a truck when DEF was put in the fuel tank.
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Rob

Post by Rob »

Looks like you all had a great trip, sorry we missed it. One of the things we like about traveling up to KI is the caravan we go up in. Thanks for sharing,
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"
1968 Black Double Cab "The Black Pearl"
1970 Lotus White Single Cab "Big Tud"
1976 Sage Green Westfalia "Sweet Pickle"

They gotta' have names!