Any shops still working on old VW's?

Flamingo

Any shops still working on old VW's?

Post by Flamingo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:57 pm

Looking to find a shop to install new window trim and regulators in the 77 Westy. I tried installing the window trim at the last tune up day...but it was never really right after that. The stress from the poorly fitted trim on the window (installed by me) causes the regulator to go bad today. So now I'm looking to pay professionals. Any recommendations?
I don't weld. I don't fabricate. And I can't even fix most of the things I break. But I do have niche-iness to offer. You're welcome.

Flamingo

Re: Any shops still working on old VW's?

Post by Flamingo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Thinking about giving these people a try. Anyone have an experience with these folks?
Screenshot_2018-08-19-20-20-07.png
I don't weld. I don't fabricate. And I can't even fix most of the things I break. But I do have niche-iness to offer. You're welcome.

Six Volt

Post by Six Volt » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:50 pm

I would reach out to Dan (Lurch) and see if he's willing to help out on one of his days off. Since you're willing to pay him and make it worth his while, he might say yes. Dan knows windows and window trim and he'd be my go to guy for that type of work. Since your willing to pay, hopefully he'll have some time. Dan knows his stuff.

I'm secretly hoping he says yes, because if I restore the Lurchmobile, I'm going to need him to do my windows! HA HA!

I'm sure that car repair shop is fine, but I'd ask if they want to do this kind of work. I'm sure they know their way around window regulators, but I'm not sure shop mechanics have any more experience with window rubber and trim than you do. But I could be wrong and they could be really good.
It's me, Sean
1957 Beetle Oval Sedan 36 Horse 6 volt
1959 Panel 40 Horse 6 volt

Flamingo

Post by Flamingo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:21 pm

I'm just looking for professional results. I'd like the window trim properly installed and the windows operating as they should. I'll send Dan an IM.

Flamingo

Post by Flamingo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:15 pm

Well...I just booked an appointment with the business posted above. They work on all years and models of VW. And specialize in watercooled Vanagons as well. Just got quoted a great price for window trim and regulator replacements for both front doors. I'll keep everyone posted on the quality of their work. I think it's going to be nice having a local shop close to me for regular service and maint. 😁

TRL

Post by TRL » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:35 pm

Let us know how it goes. Those guys at German Auto seem to just focus on late model VWs/Audis. Let us know how it goes.
The Rick Lang

blue71

Post by blue71 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Nick Beukemann, relative of Pat (framingsilly) works there. Don't recall his username here offhand.
Nick a.k.a. Parts-whore, Young Nick, Subwoofer Nick, Nebraska Nick, Doc, the Amish connection.

Now: 1967 bug, 68 westy, 70 bus, 70 westy, 70 bug (FS), 71 westy, 71 bug
Past: 58 bug, 66 bug, 68 bug, 68 westy, 71 super, 74 super

Six Volt

Post by Six Volt » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:00 pm

I met a guy tonight who recomends this place. https://www.instagram.com/nordkuste_performance/

He said the owner is young and he works on a lot of high end water cooled stuff, but is really into VW buses.
It's me, Sean
1957 Beetle Oval Sedan 36 Horse 6 volt
1959 Panel 40 Horse 6 volt

Josh

Post by Josh » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:37 am

That's Mike Pottle's shop. He's a good dude and great mechanic. He's been to a few KI and put in bay camp outs with Leakoil too. Brett is currently having Mike do a Subaru conversion on his Syncro. Highly recommended!

Flamingo

Post by Flamingo » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:38 am

Well...picked up the Westy from German Auto Pros Friday afternoon. Just in time for Oktoberfest. And all I can say is WOW! What a great job these guys did. Windows roll up and down beautifully! And they did one hell of a job installing the new bright work too. I think this is going to be the start of a beautiful relationship. I highly recommend them.