Kelleys Island 2010 (recap)

Six Volt

Kelleys Island 2010 (recap)

Post by Six Volt »

Well, another year is in the books and this may well have been the "mother of all Kelleys Island" experiences. An apparent record turnout.

First off, a big "thank you" to Bill and Pam Webner who make it all happen.

Most of us just show up and have a good time, and Bill and Pam love that and want no credit or praise, but folks should know how much they do behind the scenes to make it happen. It's pretty much a full year of planning and "getting it together" for Bill and Pam and they always deliver with a great event. Bill deals with the 4-H people, signs the contracts, gets the insurance through NEATO, contacts the vendors for donations, gets all the raffle items together, arranges for the Friday Great Lakes keg, gets the registration stuff together, pays all the bills and handles a host of other items too long and numerous to go into here. Pam does everything else and that list is endless. Yes, there are many other volunteers and helpers who deserve mention and praise, but a special thanks go out to Bill and Pam. So thank you Bill and Pam for all you do! :D

So what's a LEAKOIIL experience on KI like? Everyone's experience is different, but it doesn't take a whole lot to enjoy the island and the VW experience offered by this event. Some like to party, some like to relax, and still others like to explore. On KI there's room for all that and more!

Here are a few photos and I hope you share some photos and your experiences as well. I'll post more later when I have more time.

Half the fun is just getting there. It's always refreshing when you don't have to wait too long for the ferry. Ken and I timed it pretty close.

We learned a lot about concrete on the ride over. Did you know it costs $525 to bring a concrete truck on the ferry? And that doesn't include the cost of the concrete! :shock:

When you get there it's always fun to cruise the main drag and check out the little "downtown" area.

We often have to wait to get into the campgrounds, but having the extra help to set up doesn't seem to hurt.

The registration committee were all smiles!

A huge shout out to Chuck Spence & family who not only brought, stocked and maintained the hot dog machine, but also brought these wonderful machines that tranquilized the young and old alike! (Hey Chuck, I think I owe you for a mirror! :oops: )

OK, John Muir has his critics, but this is a bit much!

When things get a little crazy at the campsite, you can sneak away to the Brewery in town.

The nut brown ale has a calming effect.

I know I'm old because I remember both Hubert Humphrey and Edmund Muskie. You young guys don't!

"The future's so bright, I'm gonna need shades!" We're gonna need to take that polisher away from Berea Bob! :lol:

"I wish that adult would go get us an engine block!"

Oceanside condo? Yea, that's available!

Randy drove this all the way up from Ky. Word is he only stopped because he reached the lake and couldn't go any farther! :lol:

Managing the largest scooter business on the Great Lakes is a 'thirsting' experience. Word is this was a tough negotiation.

These thieves thought the hubcaps on this thing were so ugly they brought it back to the rightful owner!

One awesome DC that looked great on the beach!

More photos in a little bit....
Last edited by Six Volt on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howie

Kelleys Island 2010

Post by Howie »

As most of you know my camera bit the dust early on Friday night. This is my favorite of the few shots that survived, of Hanna making her own fire. She did it all by herself and I was pretty darned impressed!
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
Six Volt

Re: Kelleys Island 2010 (recap)

Post by Six Volt »

OK I have a few more minutes so here goes...

It's always great to see the LEAKOIL colors flying.

How does Reg get all this stuff in that bus????

Friday night.

Ray, chilling.

The weather sure cooperated!

This looked like a train wreck waiting to happen, but it ended well. A lot better than last year! :lol:

These were the same two characters from tune up day! :lol:

Deadhead on the water.

This guy (Brandon) can't stop smiling since he got a bus!

t-r-o-u-b-l-e

Other than me, these were the last three guys I thought I would see on a sports field! (L to R, Paul, Regis and Dan)

Ron checked the coordinates!

Howie will have to tell you if a Cannon camera can survive Genny Cream Ale! :P

Loved it!

Ted, Melissa and family made it in the venerable '59 single!

This guy was at the first KI campout.

Everyone was friendly and welcoming.

Is this a glamour shot? :lol:

What are you guys models? :lol:

OK this is what I was after. :D

Many thanks to Dan and all the "pickers" for getting this together!

More later...
82camper

Kellys 2010

Post by 82camper »

Had a great time agian this year I think the kid had fun too will have to have the girls organize it a little better for the kids next year but all in all a good time here are some pic.
Attachments
006.JPG
010.JPG
016.JPG
017.JPG
031.JPG
018.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG
022.JPG
023.JPG
027.JPG
026.JPG
Ray
82 Camper
98 Jetta TDI
08 Rabbit
11 Honda Element
vwrick69

Post by vwrick69 »

Thanks to Pam and Bill it was a great time!!! Sean your jealous of my "Moon saltflat racing disks" is embarrising, you can order some for yourself, I'll give you the address! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

A few more...

Saturday night.

The 4-H site is perfect for our needs.

The raffle and silent auction are always interesting.

Plenty of good items.

The breakfast and pot luck bring everyone together.

Pumpkin carving was a big success.

The kids pitch in and help.

The ferry ride home on Sunday morning was packed with buses.

Hope to see you next year!
vw7266

Post by vw7266 »

Im gonna have to try to make it up that way for a camp out...looks fun!
Crapatron

Post by Crapatron »

Not to bump this post, but since all these wonderful photos are posted here maybe it makes sense. I am offering to make a video/slideshow of the 2010 KOK so we can post online and get some LEAKOIL recognition in the VW community and more.

Any and all attendees interested, that took photos of the event, please send me the high resolution version of your photos to brettholzworth@yahoo.com. The more photos the better and I will do my best to represent everyones experience.

Thanks in advance and thank you to everyone who made this event possible. It was a great time!
Mbkeith74

Post by Mbkeith74 »

Well being new to this Rachel and I thought this was the best camping trips we've ever been on. I have to say thank you to all the people that were a part of the event. I can't wait to go too next years KI campout. Between all the wonderful people and all the awesome Bus's and Vans it was like a VW heaven. I do have pics just have to get them up. Hope to keep seeing more pics.
Matt Keith
21window

Post by 21window »

Thanks Pam & Bill, Kirk, etc. good times.

Here's a pic of Denise and Maria feeling no pain Friday night...
Attachments
IMG00125-20101008-2155.jpg