Forum Rules

admin
Site Admin

Forum Rules

Post by admin »

General Posting Standards **Please Read**

L.E.A.K.O.I.L. and the Internet

L.E.A.K.O.I.L., by its very name, is first and foremost a VW bus club. Its internet site was created and is maintained by L.E.A.K.O.I.L. to promote and enhance the VW bus experience. While some threads or posts, unrelated to buses occasionally appear, members should be careful about the content of such threads or posts.

L.E.A.K.O.I.L. is not unique in reviewing the content of posted material. The first line in the rules for posting on the largest VW website in the world, ‘thesamba’, begins with the phrase: “Posting on TheSamba.com is a privilege, not a right.” ‘The samba’ has an extensive list of rules on threads and posts. You can review their requirements here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php

Rather than impose any list of rules, we would prefer to simply have some basic standards for everyone’s benefit and protection.

It is not the intent of the L.E.A.K.O.I.L. or any moderator or administrator of this site to curb anyone’s free speech. Anyone is free at any time to start any web site they desire and say anything they wish on the internet. The limits on L.E.A.K.O.I.L. postings are solely to protect both L.E.A.K.O.I.L. as a club as well as its individual members. This protection includes you.

Limitations exist, in part, because the site can be accessed and read by anyone. That L.E.A.K.O.I.L. sticker on your bus is an invitation to anyone to ‘Google’ the L.E.A.K.O.I.L. name. Current and potential employers, as well as a host of others, can find out a great deal about your interests and activities and make value judgments, sometimes unfairly, about you and fellow members. Even if you are not concerned with your own reputation, the club has a responsibility to both itself and all the other members. Individuals unrelated to an internet group can, and do, check websites.

It is often said, “we are a club without rules”, and to a great extent that’s true. Nevertheless, that goal can only be realized by individual members thinking about the potential consequences to the club, themselves and fellow members before posting on potentially controversial topics. Moderators and administrators are placed in a no-win situation when removing or not removing controversial posts. Invariably, someone is offended. We all realize no one likes censorship or moderators editing posts, so let’s try to avoid it by being sensible and considerate in what we post.

Basic rules of common etiquette should be observed. Avoid the obvious, such as blatant references to race, sex, religion, politics, social controversies and illegal activities. Be mindful of sensitive topics when starting threads that may result in questionable responses. We have a “zero tolerance” policy on “postings” or conduct that L.E.A.K.O.I.L. deems to be detrimental to the group as a whole or its members. Personal attacks, abusive or foul language or behavior deemed inappropriate by L.E.A.K.O.I.L., or those authorized to act by the Chairman, will result in deactivation of the member's account. Moderators/Administrators as appointed by the Chairman reserve the right to edit or delete inappropriate posts or threads.

Lastly, try to see the big picture. Focus, first and foremost, on VW’s. After all, that’s what the site is supposed to be about. If occasionally we find the need to stray off point, we should try to do so from an intelligent perspective. If we work together on this we can have an enjoyable and informative website.