2010 Cleveland Oktoberfest

oktober

2010 Cleveland Oktoberfest

Post by oktober »

Hey LEAKOILERS,

Great to see so many of you out in Vermilion last Thursday. The Cleveland Oktoberfest is on the horizon, so I just wanted to post a little something regarding what you can expect over the weekend. Once again, you get in free, and can camp for free. VW buses and all vehicles entering the car show should use the entrance marked for LEAKOIL on the map of the fairgrounds located here: http://www.clevelandoktoberfest.com/grounds.php There are washrooms and electrical outlets near the campsite (same location as last year), and Oktoberfest will provide wood for your bonfire... unless you'd prefer to burn furniture :twisted: More about the VW Campout can be found at this link: http://www.clevelandoktoberfest.com/leakoil_vws.php and more about the car show can be found here: http://www.clevelandoktoberfest.com/car_show.php

The only hitch will be Sunday night when we'll need to line the buses up near the fence as The Cleveland Pops will be performing Beethoven's 5th, The Ride of the Valkyries, and a couple other numbers, time permitting. I've scheduled your talk for 5PM on Sunday. I hope that's alright with you all.

Outside of the Pops concert, the Oktoberfest will be similar to last year... except bigger and better (we hope). Bruce Springsteen cover band Stone Pony will play in the Bier Garten Friday night, the Spazmatics Saturday night, Cleveland's Breakfast Club Sunday night, and Disco Inferno on Monday night. World Champion sand sculptor Carl Jara will be doing a rendition of the Ride of the Valkyries. Not sure how he plans to sculpt winged girls on flying horses, but that's why I go to the Oktoberfest... besides the fact that they pay me.

As usual we'll have Art Market featuring over 30 artists, a chalk art exhibit, awesome German and Polish food, a microbrew competition featuring 15 local breweries, the German Strong-Man Masskrugstemmen Competition, a live Glockenspiel, traditional German musik and dance, a Bavarian Bazaar, a vintage and antique car show, the L.E.A.K.O.I.L. VW campout, as well as a display of Mercedes' Smart Cars, a 5K Bier Run, an International Pavilion with dance and musical acts representative of over 15 countries, The Sugardale Wiener Dog Races, loads of stuff for kids (from inflatables, to hay rides, gingerbread house building workshops, toy trains, face painting, the Frisch Marionette show, etc.), and our Educational Pavilion featuring you guys, as well as homebrewing demos, an exhibit by Euclid Beach Park, a wine and food pairing event, and exhibits by the Western Reserve Historical Society.

In other words, we've got a lot of stuff going on to keep you entertained. If you want more details on the event, visit the Oktoberfest website at http://www.clevelandoktoberfest.com. If you need directions to the Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds, you can get them at this url: http://www.clevelandoktoberfest.com/directions.php. Anyway, that about covers it. All that's left is for you all to hop in your buses and get out to the Oktoberfest. If any of you have questions regarding the event, please don't hesitate to contact me either by phone at 216-650-1665 or by email at [url]mailto:webmaster@clevelandoktoberfest.com[/url] Look forward to seeing you all out there!

Prosit,

Rich
Rich Croft, Webmaster/Board Member
Cleveland Labor Day Oktoberfest
webmaster@clevelandoktoberfest.com
http://www.clevelandoktoberfest.com
Howie

Re: 2010 Cleveland Oktoberfest

Post by Howie »

Cool! What happens when we line our buses up at the fence?
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
oktober

Post by oktober »

Howie wrote:Cool! What happens when we line our buses up at the fence?
Basically, we just want to line the buses up so that they're not scattered across the lawn area. It doesn't even have to be the fence... just lined up at the edge of the grass area so that the lawn is open. The Pops will have a stage set up near the grandstand and people will be sitting on the lawn to listen to the concert.
Rich Croft, Webmaster/Board Member
Cleveland Labor Day Oktoberfest
webmaster@clevelandoktoberfest.com
http://www.clevelandoktoberfest.com
volks71folk

Post by volks71folk »

I think i am going to make this my first LEAKOIL camping experience.
Ken

Post by Ken »

This year we are going to feature Commercial Transporters (work trucks) in our presentation for example Panels. Kombies, Single Cabs, Double Cabs, etc. We need some volunteers to bring their vehicles to the Education Building and display them during the talk. We did this last year with the Westy's and it worked out well and LEAKOIL got a lot of attention. We'll plan on lining up Sunday at 4:30 and parade to the Ed Bldg.

So far the following people have volunteered: Bob J. - Jolly Green Giant and/or Brazilian D.C., Chuck - Brazilian D.C., Greg - '80 Vanagon S. C., Dale - 61 double Door Panel, Vanagony - 68 Panel, Me - 63 S.C.

The more the merrier - Rick, Kirk, David, Randy or anyone else with a Transporter can PM me.
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab
Howie

Post by Howie »

I love it! This is sounding great!
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
OldBluT2

Post by OldBluT2 »

Barring any unforeseen circumstances the '56 will be there. Debating on the '68. I could probably look this up somewhere, but what day/time is the talk? I'll be there Friday night through Sunday morning but will need to leave a few times during the day.
'91 Vanagon Carat
'15 Jetta TSI

Others I wish I'd have had the space and money to keep:
'56 Single Cab, '68 Double Cab, '71 Hardtop Westy, '77 Pop-up Westy, '98 New Beetle, '07 Rabbit
Ken

Post by Ken »

OldBluT2 wrote:I could probably look this up somewhere, but what day/time is the talk? .
Sunday 5:00 PM. Would love to see the '56 there. :D
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab
OldBluT2

Post by OldBluT2 »

I'll have to let you know. Hadn't planned on staying the entire weekend.
'91 Vanagon Carat
'15 Jetta TSI

Others I wish I'd have had the space and money to keep:
'56 Single Cab, '68 Double Cab, '71 Hardtop Westy, '77 Pop-up Westy, '98 New Beetle, '07 Rabbit
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

OldBluT2 wrote:I'll have to let you know. Hadn't planned on staying the entire weekend.
You may as well stay, because next year you won't even get out of the house! :lol:

Just wanted to thank Rich Croft and Bob Haas (the big guy) for all their hospitality at Oktoberfest. When Rich suggested we come out in 2007, I never thought this would end up being an annual event for us. This will be our 4th year and it just seems to get better every time. They've got us in a perfect spot near the new bathrooms and we don't have to pay to get in or drive home! :lol:

I can't wait to see that matchup of LEAKOIL and Beethoven :? Maybe that will bring Aaron out! :roll:

I encourage all new LEAKOILERS to check this event out. It's free to get in and free to camp. Besides, you can learn everyone's name and check out all your gear just in time for Kelley's. ;)

Ken does a great job on his "transporter" presentations and we get to educate the general public about our vehicles. Come on out!