77 Westy

Josh

77 Westy

Post by Josh »

I climbed back on the horse and got another bus. Not a split, but a 77 Sage green Westy.... Yes, another Sage Green westy in the group. Thanks to Chuck for finding the deal for me, and helping me figure out these new fangled modern buses work. It's no beauty queen, but it's overall solid and clean.
The windshield lip will need replaced and all the window/pop-top seals too, I'll have Brandon do that for me :lol:
It's been sitting for years in storage, but originally came from Florida. All I had to do to get it running was drain the gas tank, replace the fuel lines/engine seal, buy a battery, change the oil and adjust the valves. Runs great! I am still working on getting the electrical gremlins out, but it's a nice usable project. I should have everything figured out by Fort Firelands campout.
Six Volt

Re: 77 Westy

Post by Six Volt »

Nice! :D And it has the 1970's "dealer approved" side pin striping! :lol: Looks like a great bus. :D I love sage green Westys. After all, everywhere you look, that's all you see! :lol:

Hope those (Don & Kyle) FI manuals help out. Teach me what I really need to know when you figure it all out! :D

See you this weekend! :D
THINGE

Post by THINGE »

Josh wrote:The windshield lip will need replaced and all the window/pop-top seals too, I'll have Brandon do that for me :lol:
No worries, I've got you covered. Just include Dan in the whole window seal replacement project and were golden. I'll supervise the whole project.
1966 VW 13 Window Deluxe Bus
1974 VW Thing (2)
1977 VW Westfalia
Howie

Post by Howie »

Looks like a nice one Josh, your family should enjoy that! Congratulations! Glad to see you back in the saddle!
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
Ken

Post by Ken »

Glad you're back on the horse. Looks like a pretty nice Westy and I'm sure it will only get better.
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab
Crapatron

Post by Crapatron »

Well Well Well, look who came to the dark side..........

So glad you found something you like and that you are "back in the seat" again. Im sure that will be up and camping in no time.

And as an added bonus (since you are a genius mechanic) you will now be forced to learn the FI system backwards and forwards. Meaning i wont always have to bother Don :lol: Unless you swap in a carb or two..........

Congrats Josh
Howie

Post by Howie »

It may not be your Ideal Bus, Josh, but it will make a nice "Roller" for the summer! ROLL that suckah!
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
OldBluT2

Post by OldBluT2 »

Congrats! looks like a pretty nice find. The typical rust spots look pretty solid (from what I can tell from these shots). Am I mistaken in thinking this is a deluxe model (with stove)? I have to say, although I like my trucks, I do miss my '77 Westy. Brett will tell you what a piece of crap it was, but I loved that thing!
'91 Vanagon Carat
'15 Jetta TSI

Others I wish I'd have had the space and money to keep:
'56 Single Cab, '68 Double Cab, '71 Hardtop Westy, '77 Pop-up Westy, '98 New Beetle, '07 Rabbit
Josh

Post by Josh »

Got it roadworthy today! The turn signals were flashing like crazy, and a new relay fixed that. I found a relay at A-Zone for 5 bucks. The tail/brake lights weren't working, and new bulbs fixed that. I drove it to Aaron's in Strongsville to shake it down on the freeway, then to Sean's in Westpark with NO issues! Runs cool as a cucumber in December so I am pretty stoked. There are still a few things to work on, but that is part of owning a bus.
TheBigSpud

Post by TheBigSpud »

Congrats, Josh 8-) Enjoy.
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI