1960 SO-23 A.K.A. Gunther

Marla

1960 SO-23 A.K.A. Gunther

Post by Marla »

Hello Everyone,
I would like to start by introducing you to Gunther. I recently purchased him, This summer, from a guy in California although he was originally from Canada. I am very new to the VW world, so I am here to learn and hopefully meet some new friends. I was asked to post some pictures of him for all of you to see. So, I am starting this thread.

As you can see he has some bumps and bruises, but overall in decent shape. I am very excited about Gunther. Any suggestions you have are welcome. I would like to figure out the engine, if it in fact is a "bastard" and if it is something I should replace. I don't have anything to compare it to, but it really seems to be lacking power, I am just not sure if that is normal or if it is something to address.
Attachments
M-Codes De-coded Based on what I can read
M-Codes De-coded Based on what I can read
M-Code Plate Missing Hard to Read
M-Code Plate Missing Hard to Read
VIN Plate
VIN Plate
Engine # with "D" Stamp?
Engine # with "D" Stamp?
Ice Box
Ice Box
Interior
Interior
Gas Heater Under Seat
Gas Heater Under Seat
Dash Board
Dash Board
OD
OD
Side
Side
Front View
Front View
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
Marla

Re: 1960 SO-23 A.K.A. Gunther

Post by Marla »

Here are a couple more pictures of the engine.
Attachments
013.JPG
2013 09 12 Gunther 002.JPG
011.JPG
It's Marla with an " L"
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

Looks fantastic, cant wait to see it in person. We do a 3rd thursday meeting every month, you should bring it out (next thursday), i believe we are at basils in elyria this week, need to add to calendar (hint hint) .

According to Bills reference that case is a late model 1200 so the engine is not a bastard engine. It may have originally come with a bastard, but has been switched somewhere along the line. They made have replaced just the cAse and left tins, stands, etc.
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
65Westy

Post by 65Westy »

Nice.
Craig

1963 Beetle
1972 Schnepp XL13 Formula Vee
1972 Caldwell D13 Formula Vee
1971 Super Beetle convertible
Marla

Post by Marla »

Thanks!

Next week I will probably have it at the mechanic's getting checked out. So, I won't be able to bring him to the meeting. Although, I do plan on going to Kelly's Island. I am looking forward to it.
It's Marla with an " L"
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Marla,wow. The tumblers and cups,if original are somewhat rare,even reproductions are difficult to find.
The bowl,if marked properly and original is an so23 holy grail. The gas heater is in an odd location as everyone I have seen is in the engine comp opposite the battery. And heats the cabin area as opposed to the front although I can't see the duct work. M code should tell whether it was original to the bus, may have been installed later. I got $200 for a cargo net like the one in your bus a few years ago. the fridge is dry ice. the metal pan is where you put the dry ice. Can't tell for sure if yours is correct since they were wedge shaped with the narrow part being the opening so it fit in the upper shelf of the fridge. there are a few SO 23 owners on this forum who can help ID some things. I sold mine a couple of years ago and am working from memory and few pics. Looking forward to seeing it.
Bill
P.S. Did you find an Enders cook stove in the compartment under the rear facing seat?
Marla

Post by Marla »

From what I was told... all things are original to the bus. I am not sure hw you would prove that. The cups are stamped, the sink bowl I am not sure, I will have to look. I have the the child's hammock and the canopy structure with privy tent. I tried figuring out how to put it up but really had a hard time with it. Looking for help with that one. I do not have the enders stove though. I would love to complete the bus with it. So, I was looking on line, finding the correct model that came with the bus is hard. I will keep looking. The ice drip tray is just a square shaped tray, with a little spout and hose attached to it. So, maybe not original? I should probably look for a stamp on that too.

I will take more photos tomorrow and post them.
It's Marla with an " L"
21window

Post by 21window »

Here is a pic of my M-Code plate. May help you gain a little more info on what yours used to say (if you care)

Looks like mine was built (11-30-59) maybe about 60,000 buses before yours if I'm reading it correctly.

Maybe yours was built 9-23-60.

This link is helpful

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/id.php
Attachments
_DSC0872 (1).JPG
Last edited by 21window on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

It looks great!
I can help you with the tent, I've done it many times.
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
vw7266

Post by vw7266 »

Hot damn thats a killer bus! You should drive it to fl with us in november