Trailmix Beetle

trailmix

Re: Trailmix Beetle

Post by trailmix »

The Trail Mix Beetle is still running very strong after Bruce dialed in the timing. We have been driving it almost every day and even on the highway. The bike racks are tremendously sturdy and gets us to the cycling events without issue. I fixed a turn signal problem yesterday with one of the connections in the engine compartment being almost completely disconnected. The Eastwood product called "Patina Preserver" is holding up remarkably well. It still beads up like a heavy wax was applied. I will certainly apply another coat before the cold weather sets in and it finds its home in the garage.....or Bruce's garage...haha!

My next project is deep wheels with the tabs for domed caps.(See pic below) But, I need to replace the front beam with a narrower one to accommodate the new deep wheels and to address the small rubbing problem due to the drop spindles. What is the best vendor that offers quality narrowed beams?

The oil leak at the push rod tubes is getting worse. Not a problem yet, but I can see that it needs addressing soon. I will schedule an appointment with Dr. Bruce for the solution.

Hope to see you guys at the next meet.
Attachments
smoothies.jpg
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

trailmix wrote:The Trail Mix Beetle is still running very strong ...We have been driving it almost every day and even on the highway...

Hope to see you guys at the next meet.

Drive that thing out to vermillion for the next third Thursday. You will be glad you did.
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

I took the car out to a big bike race this weekend. I used it to gain attention to our display. I talked to more people about the car than I did about the business. But that's OK, I would rather talk about the car anyways!!
Attachments
Akron BMX RedBull Display.JPG
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

that seems to be what happens when you show up in a VW :lol: How many "used to have one" stories did you have to hear :?:
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

The next project I need to do is a narrowed front beam. (4" is the goal) My question is this: should I find someone who can narrow the original beam or just buy a new narrowed beam and keep the original the way it is?
Is there anyone local that will narrow my current beam and add adjusters?
heyed67

Post by heyed67 »

I believe widefive is the guy to talk too on this. I'm not for sure but I know he is way more knowledgeable on the subject than I. :) I'm sure someone will chime in to steer you in the right direction.
TRL

Post by TRL »

Widefive doesnt do T1 stuff for the most part. I would just buy a new beam. T1 beams are very common and shouldnt cost much. It will probably come with adjusters which is nice and you can keep the og beam around if you ever want to go back. You will have either get cut down springs or cut down the ones in your beam now. And do your homework on how narrow you go.
The Rick Lang
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

TRL wrote:Widefive doesnt do T1 stuff for the most part. I would just buy a new beam. T1 beams are very common and shouldnt cost much. It will probably come with adjusters which is nice and you can keep the og beam around if you ever want to go back. You will have either get cut down springs or cut down the ones in your beam now. And do your homework on how narrow you go.
Aaron can at least tell you where to go for your parts so you don't get junk parts.
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

I've been busy cleaning and preserving the last few weeks. Today was the muffler painting with new gaskets and clamps. Installed new Jaycee push rod tubes this week as well! Replaced running boards with some cheap ones but they actually went on with little persuasion. Lots of painting and POR 15 application on everything that needs it.

A rebuilt 30 PICT carb from Tim at Volksbitz is headed my way. Also bought an electronic ignition swap that will go on soon along with new spark plugs that I've been told need to be gapped to .33 after the new ignition goes in.
Also, I am having some trouble with the reading I've been getting from my multimeter on the ohms from the coil. I need a 3 ohm coil for the new ignition and the closest reading I could get was 9.2.

I have been buying a lot of paint and other cleaning and restoration products from Eastwood. They opened a storefront in Parma and it's just cool to look around their shop. Lots of rust removers, encapsulators and quality paint.
Attachments
IMG_3455.JPG
IMG_3463.JPG
IMG_3460.JPG
IMG_3427.JPG
IMG_3428.JPG
IMG_3429.JPG
IMG_3430.JPG
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

That's looking really good Keith.

If you have not done so already, you should top coat the POR15 areas with their topcoat product or a layer of paint. POR15 is not uv resistant and can flake off in a couple years if you do not

http://qr.absolutecoatings.com/QR-asset ... iption.pdf
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.