Trailmix Beetle

trailmix

Re: Trailmix Beetle

Post by trailmix »

I've come to the conclusion that whatever project that I am in to, I will plan on re-doing it at least twice. After installing the "re-conditioned" (that means I took it apart when I didn't need to) turn signal assembly and steering wheel, I'm not getting the left turn signal to light or lock in. BUT, the new paint on the assembly and steering wheel looks awesome!!!!! ARRRRGH!!!
Finally got to lay some matte clear on the car yesterday (7 cans). I did so much cleaning and prep that a friend said that I took some of the patina off and it was too clean.....
Also got Pertronix Ignitor and Flame Thrower coil electronic ignition installed. It was a long time coming and it fired right up. New plugs too.
After butchering the pitman arm to accept the new tie rod ends, I finally replaced it with a crappy EMPI arm. It didn't exactly match up with the original arm but just knowing that it hasn't been altered by me is a good thing. It will need a front end alignment AGAIN!!! At least I am on a first name basis with the alignment guy at Conrad's up the street.
New rubber for the headlights, turn signals and hood handle are on the way. Re-install the body and hood molding with new rubber boots will make it a wrap for this winter's projects.
I am certainly going to need a good tune up from someone that knows the process better than I. The new carb and ignition needs to be tweaked to run smooth. I'm not quite ready to start turning screws and not knowing exactly what it going on.
Excited about getting this thing back on the road and taking us to some awesome places. Maybe even a cool road trip around the region.
Attachments
IMG_3643.JPG
IMG_3646.JPG
IMG_3645.JPG
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

I've found these old training films to be invaluable for non-mechanics like myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOxxS1EMphU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpH7VftH3_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ9ccGXtZL0
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

Pics after the matte clear coat.
Also the re-painted steering wheel and turn signal assembly. I will probably have to take the assembly apart again to fix some problems.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Marla

Post by Marla »

Very Nice! I love your little helper on the job. :D
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

Update: I bought some aluminum AEW wheels that I've wanted for a while. I just like the look. Unfortunately, the front wheels will not clear the bottom ball joints. As of right now, they are not usable. I would have to narrow the beam, install disc brakes and use a wheel spacer to make them work. Right now, it's just not something I want to do or have the budget to do it right now. So they sit on the shelf until I can use them one day. Maybe I will take them to a meet and see if there is any interest.
I need to pay more attention to back spacing when I find another set of wheels. I've looked at a lot of diagrams and instructions to find the correct wheel for my application. It's not that confusing but when buying used, some sellers are not sure what the backspacing is on the wheels they are selling. Not only that, with the clearance issues being very small the measurement has to be correct. If the seller does not measure right, your stuck with wheels that don't fit.
I decided to buy some tires that wouldn't rub the fenders under a sharp turn or a bump in the road. I had someone offer to "roll" the fenders but I wasn't sold on the fact that you should alter the fenders to make the tire fit. I went with a 155 65 15's Conti on the front. I had the rear tires mounted with the white walls in to match the front. The front tires are awesome and look pretty good too.
After having Bruce help me with the turn signal switch that I butchered, I thought we had it fixed for a while at least. Unfortunately the switch no longer would hold the signal and I had to hold it in place for the blinker to work. I broke down and bought a replacement switch from EMPI. The directions didn't match the colors of the wires and it was very confusing as to what wire went where. After some time figuring it out, everything works great and I figured out the high beam switch too!!!!
Still working on getting the builder working on my new engine. It's a slow process but it's getting there.
The beetle is running great right now. The weather is breaking so we will see you on the road!!
Attachments
IMG_3829[1].JPG
IMG_3827[1].JPG
IMG_3822[1].JPG
IMG_3824[1].JPG
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

trailmix wrote:I had someone offer to "roll" the fenders but I wasn't sold on the fact that you should alter the fenders to make the tire fit.
Thank you for not doing something idiotic like rolling fenders.
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

WideFive wrote:
trailmix wrote:I had someone offer to "roll" the fenders but I wasn't sold on the fact that you should alter the fenders to make the tire fit.
Thank you for not doing something idiotic like rolling fenders.
Right!

It's ALWAYS better to cut the fenders and go with the "jersey look" :roll:
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

We decided a couple of months ago to take the beetle to Indiana for a family reunion. I was excited for my mom to finally get to see it and go for a ride. But we haven't taken the car that far from home and since I haven't been through the internals of the engine, I was unsure of it's ability to do it without some sort of issue.
So I hooked up with Bruce and we went through the essentials and all we found was a bearing issue with the generator. I decided to drop the engine and pull the generator to have Chuck replace the bearings since I didn't have the tools to do that job. Pulling the engine and taking the generator out was not an issue. It was putting the damn engine back in that was a pain in the a$$. I had to recruit a friend to come over and help me figure it out. Having another set of eyes and hands was the trick. And NO, I don't think I could do it by myself the next time. It didn't help that I put a good cleaning and some paint in the engine when it was out so I didn't want to force it back in.
Everything went back in and hooked up nicely. After the marks on the crank pulley were figured out by Bruce, the timing was set perfectly and was running beautifully.
All I had to do was stock the trunk with spare parts of what I thought could go wrong and we left Cleveland early Friday morning.
That damn car performed awesome!!! Not one hiccup or issue all the way there and back. And we pretty much drove through the rain half way there and half way back. No leaks either!!!
I am proud of what I have accomplished with this little car even though it was in pretty good shape when I got it. But most of all I am very thankful to the LeakOil family for the support and helping hands. Bruce, Chuck and Mike have really helped. I know you don't think it is much but just simple advice or a spare part means a lot.
Attachments
IMG_4100[1].JPG
IMG_4057[1].JPG
GOUH2796[1].jpg
IMG_4136[1].JPG
IMG_2786[1].JPG
IMG_2799[1].JPG
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

Awesome.

Looks like you had fun, and glad there were no hiccups.

Love the family photo in front of the bike museum.

Maybe now with some confidence you can take the car out on other long(ER) trips.
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
Marla

Post by Marla »

Great Job Keith.

I am glad your trip went well. Hopefully it's one of many more to come.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)