Ohio Brew Week July 21 & 22

Six Volt

Ohio Brew Week July 21 & 22

Post by Six Volt »

I'm willing to host this if there's any interest. https://twitter.com/ohiobrewweek?lang=en Let's be honest. It's a long ride for most LEAKOILERS. 200 miles from the CLE. I know that's nothing for Widefive and TRL, but for LEAKOILERS its like going to Nepal. But it's a great event in a really cool part of the state. http://athensohio.com

I'm planning for the best two days. Friday, July 21, where there's a 'cruise in' car show at the old train station with BBQ, live music and brews and then Saturday, the 22nd, when there's "Last Call" where they close off the main drag and bring the beer trucks onto the street with live music and food. I can fit up to 10 buses at my place and it's walkable into town so you won't need to drive to the big event.

I won't be offended if you can't or won't come. Our place is in town with parking (and a lot of ammenities) so we're trying to give people the opportunity if they want to take in the best two days of brew week.

Hocking Hills and Strouds Run are right there as well and there's even the old Athens Insane Asylum that will be having tours. Ask Dan (Lurch) about the place.

I think this will only work if there's a plan to caravan down together. Chuck can go ahead and have everything ready. Just post if there's any interest. If not, I'll be there in my Tacoma. :lol:
TRL

Re: Ohio Brew Week July 21 & 22

Post by TRL »

Ive been meaning to check this out for a few years now so Im down to bus down.
The Rick Lang
Kooper271

Post by Kooper271 »

I would drive down too
Marla

Post by Marla »

I'm interested in going as well.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
ohiowesty

Post by ohiowesty »

Nepal and Hocking Hills are on my list so mind as well!
TRL

Post by TRL »

Six Volt wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:07 pmfor LEAKOILERS its like going to Nepal.
Is this still on Sean? I will drive my bus down, rain or shine or as i call it, Duck tape or no duck tape. Anyone want to caravan?
The Rick Lang
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Yes, I'm going and I invite any LEAKOILERS who want to come down to come down. Just a quick review. Brew week actually starts on Friday (tomorrow) but the big wekend is Friday July 21st and Saturday July 22nd. So those are the two dates I'm inviting everyone who wants to come to come down.

On those two dates there are really cool events that can be fun for everyone even if you're not a beer drinker. There will be asylum tours (it's a massive old mental hospital in town built in the 1870's) on both Friday and Saturday. On Friday afternoon there's a car show cruise in at the old train station with brews and BBQ and a live band at the station. And it accross from the best biker bar in Ohio. It's all near Ash Cave and Old Mans Cave and the whole Hocking Hills region. Strouds Run is really close. Lots of old cool coal mining towns around Athens some of them are even abandoned.

There are three local breweries in Athens: Devils Kettle Brewing, Little Fish Brewing and Jackie O's that will all have special events. Every bar (and there are plenty) will sponsor one or more of the many breweries accross Ohio that come down.

On Saturday the whole main drag is closed down from noon to midnight with two stages of live music at either end. They bring the beer trucks onto the main drag and its a festival like experience. Lots of shops and cool stuff to look at as well.

Athens is a unique place. Its 1/3 college town, 1/3 displaced hippie town and 1/3 Appalachia. It creates a really interesteng atmosphere.

I realize this is a 200 mile ride. So it's not for the faint of heart. If anyone is interested in going and wants to caravan down, I'm open to a proposed time on Friday if anyone wants to suggest it. I can camp up to ten buses, but I know we won't ge that many.

My place is right in town, but in a country setting. You can walk to the bars.

239 Highland Avenue Athens Ohio 45701

There's more info here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athens_Lunatic_Asylum
https://ohiobrewweek.com/events/?pno=5
https://ohiobrewweek.com/latest-news/
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

We're (Sean and Dawn) right in town, but we're kind of in the country part of town so, if you're from a big city like us, you'll feel like your in the country. Neighbors are great. We've done some upgrades to the parking since this pic (we made it bigger), but it will give you an idea of our place. We've also added a patio and grill area to the hillside. Ask Lurch or Tiff if you want to get a sense of the place is like. Again, this is a long way from where most LEAKOILERS are from so no issues of no one shows. Just offering it as an event option.
IMG_9676.jpg
IMG_9297.jpg
lurch

Post by lurch »

Who is all going and on what day might ride shotgun?
the best ideas are often the worst choices.
vanagons
mopeds
Marla

Post by Marla »

Something has come up for me, so unfortunately I will not be able to take the ride down. Sorry Sean, I was really looking forward to this one.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)