1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab
Dual Port

Re: '66 Deluxe

Post by Dual Port »

I've been dying to test drive the disc brakes as it's been a couple months since installed. With the warm weather lately I have several hundred miles on them and can report that they're great! In theory disc brakes need more fluid pressure (read pedal pressure) to stop but in reality it's less pedal pressure. I'm not quite sure why this is but I'm not arguing. I don't have to lean into the pedal anymore for a firm stop and I don't have to worry about red lights and morons ahead of me doing panic stops because they're messing with the phones. This should be on everyone's to-do list, I'm a believer. Can you believe I learned something mechanical from Sean?

:mrgreen:
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Dual Port wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:27 am Can you believe I learned something mechanical from Sean? :mrgreen:
No.
douge

Post by douge »

You've got me convinced of the need to upgrade brakes. My bus is a 64, but when I first tore it down from original - had a small nut transaxle & had to buy rear brakes for a 63. These conversion kits seem to be different between those two model years. What specific info do I need to get the right kit?
64 camper bus
65 Bug cal look
sand rail / wooded acres service vehicle
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

You "probably" have the late brake but here's how to tell.

I don't know how to ID the front spindle/brake without pulling a drum, but here's what to look for with the drum off:
This is an early brake, note the straight spindle and goofy angle of the adjuster vs. the cylinder:
665317 early brake.jpg
This is a late brake, note the tapered spindle and adjuster parallel to the cylinder:
1813495 late brake.jpg
These are not my busses! If you go back in this thread you'll find pics of my spindles too.
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

douge wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:45 pm You've got me convinced of the need to upgrade brakes. My bus is a 64, but when I first tore it down from original - had a small nut transaxle & had to buy rear brakes for a 63. These conversion kits seem to be different between those two model years. What specific info do I need to get the right kit?

Do you happen to have the M code 214? What is your production date?
douge

Post by douge »

032.jpg
032.jpg[/attachment] I know nothing about early bus codes. The photos Bruce provided make it clear that I have the later spindles. Many Thanks Bruce.
Attachments
033.JPG
64 camper bus
65 Bug cal look
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

Dual Port wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:48 am how to ID the front spindle/brake without pulling a drum
SpindleDrumID.JPG
Dust cap mounts IN the drum it's Early spindle shaft. Dust cap mounts ON/OUTSIDE the drum it's Late spindle shaft.

If you have 20mm link pins and a Late shaft those are '63 Only spindles.

Late spindles have 22mm link pins.

The link pin sticks out the back of the torsion arm, so you can measure it there.

No need to remove any brake/spindle parts to positively ID the spindles.
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
douge

Post by douge »

Thanks for all your help identifying these spindles. There was a real danger that it could have been the 63 only spindles, but was indeed the 64. Ending up with this kit https://socalautoparts.com/product/wide ... 1964-1967/ . I had quite a conversation with the developer of this kit. He also has some other cool parts his company developed - AC Industries marketed under so cal imports / socalautoparts. Some nice 1 5/8 tube heater boxes with an aluminum heat sink, so they actually work. We can use these here in Ohio.
64 camper bus
65 Bug cal look
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

douge wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:35 pm Ending up with this kit AC Industries
A+ kit. Come out Saturday, you can drive either of mine with it. :D
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus