1960 SO-23 A.K.A. Gunther

Marla

Re: 1960 SO-23 A.K.A. Gunther

Post by Marla »

The newer units are a bit smaller than the originals so I don't think having it fit will be an issue. I want to reuse the existing holes for the exhaust and the intake hoses but based on what I have seen, I will probably only be able to use one and have to drill a second one in the floor. I won't really know that until I buy it.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

I'm a freeze baby and really like the idea of the small diesel heater. Be careful around diesel fuel- the smallest amount spilled, even drops or a teaspoon, will leave a rank odor that permeates the bus and is impossible to get rid of. Speaking as a diesel mechanic for my whole working life, trust me on this one, don't spill any fuel. If it were mine I might even look to venting the tank externally or relocating the tank to the engine compartment. Pat won't let me wash my work clothes at home even now, when I don't handle diesel anymore. For years we had 2x washers and dryers, now I have to go to the laundromat. :(
There's a big thread on them on Samba you might also want to check out, they get a lot of positive feedback. There's pics of an installation just like yours.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... se&start=0

Good Luck!
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Marla

Post by Marla »

Thanks Bruce. I saw that thread on the Samba. I have been doing a lot of reading. :D
It's Marla with an " L"
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Marla wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:01 pm Thanks Bruce. I saw that thread on the Samba. I have been doing a lot of reading. :D
You could also refurbish the unit you have and run it. Join the Eberspacher group on bookface and download the manuals from Samba and have at it. The only hard part to find is a fuel pump diaphram but I think there are people who are successfully printing them now. Those heaters have more fail safes than the furnace/boiler in a home.
Marla

Post by Marla »

I really considered this Ted. It is on my bench in the basement waiting to be cleaned up. I saved all of the parts.

Here are my concerns with it.

I had read that there are parts you just simply cannot find for them. I am a member of a group with a lot of good info.

I don't have a fuel gage on my bus so I didn't wanted to tap into the gas tank as originally designed. It would be hard to keep track of how much gas was used while camping.

I thought diesel would be a better fuel source.

This is a 6v unit and my bus has gone to 12v. I would run a separate power source for the heater regardless so maybe that isn't such a big deal. However, I was looking at portable power station to bring camping in the bus and FJ so I would like to use one unit for both situations. 12v is definitely more compatible with todays conveniences.

Give me thoughts on these.
It's Marla with an " L"
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

I only wish I had held onto the multitude, and I mean multitude, of both 6V and 12 V units I had stashed for many years. No one, and I mean no one, wanted them, so I gave them away. Dare I say to likely scrappers who did the unthinkable. Shame on me. I had at least 5 of each and many spares and all the duct work as well. Oh, shame on me. I think its time for me to say: Bless me father for I have sinned... Ok, the non-Catholics won't get it, but google is your friend.
TRL

Post by TRL »

Six Volt wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:44 pmBless me father for I have sinned... Ok, the non-Catholics won't get it, but google is your friend.
I googled Sin, a bunch of weird Gaelic letters popped up... No clue what that means....

Marla, I understand your dilemma... the original heater has a great compact package and are quite safe if in working order. But gas is kinda flammable and that is heater is quite old...

The new diesel heaters are nice but require a fair amount of fab work. Either installing a aux diesel tank or lugging around a can of diesel to feed the heater. How much time and work are willing to devote to this?
The Rick Lang
Marla

Post by Marla »

I think with this location and utilizing the existing holes and duct work it can be a fairly straightforward install. I am leaning strongly towards the Webasto diesel heater with the digital controller option.

I agree an auxiliary diesel tank will be needed. I am thinking behind the driver seat where the spare tire would be is a solid option. I like the idea of having it removable and filling it outside of the bus. I have seen this done in other installs and it seems to make sense. The other option is back in the engine bay on the drive side. It's just a longer run of hose to the heater.

I am willing to put in as much time as I need. ;)
It's Marla with an " L"
CraigOnTheBoat

Post by CraigOnTheBoat »

Quality is remembered Long after the price is forgotten , you can afford it Marhole

The Eberspaecher is the quietest one out of them all. Buy the smallest one you can get (Eber)

The diesel is so economical I wouldn't worry about lugging extra fuel with you just fill it up before you roll and be happy.

Are you planning on running an auxiliary battery? I run a deep cycle aux battery with a relay so the alternator keeps it charged when running. I also have my bus equipped with shore power (boat terms go figure) and a ProMax on board charger to keep both batteries charged when my bus is plugged in.

I wonder how many fools like me have a lowered bus with diesel heat?
eber1.jpg
eber1.jpg (81.59 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
Attachments
eber5.jpg
eber5.jpg (72.93 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
eber4.jpg
eber4.jpg (61.84 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
eber3.jpg
eber3.jpg (47 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
eber2.jpg
eber2.jpg (65.88 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
64 Campmobile