PIB 2021

CraigOnTheBoat

PIB 2021

Post by CraigOnTheBoat »

We all know when it is. Right Dan?
We all know its the Best Campout of the Year. Right Kirk?

What we don't know is who all is in?

It would be nice to see some new faces and returning old faces to the Very Best Campout of the Year...
64 Campmobile
87 Syncro
SlashKirk

Re: PIB 2021

Post by SlashKirk »

The best!
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
Dan

Post by Dan »

The 2021 LEAKOIL PIB (Put-In-Bay) Campout happens the first weekend of November at the South Bass Island State Park Campground - located on the west shore of the island. Arrive Fri or Sat, Nov 5 or 6.

As usual, there will be no running water or flush toilets as they have turned off the water to the restrooms for the season. There is, however, a decent outhouse in the maintenance area for our use.

Please stop at the park office and pick up a campsite registration form, fill it out and deposit your form with payment so that all our sites are paid for. Please put in $10 per vehicle per night. (normal is $27 for electric sites, but because of no restrooms they will accept this lesser amount.)

Be sure you put the 'reserved' card on the pole at your campsite proving that you registered and avoid any hassle from park manager.

Two vehicles allowed per site.

If needed we will have large tarps mounted between trees to make a wind break .

Lots of firewood is appreciated.

Also, check with the Miller Ferry as there may be high winds that might cause delays in the ferry schedule. =https://www.millerferry.com/
If ferries are not running we will camp at East Harbor State Park.

And Craig says...well I can't say what Craig says. He'll tell you on the island.
Dan

not 'young dan'
'71 Westy
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Is there a Hilton on PIB?
CraigOnTheBoat

Post by CraigOnTheBoat »

Nothing Beats a Professional Regis Fire in November
Attachments
regisfire.jpg
regisfire.jpg (48.3 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
64 Campmobile
87 Syncro
Dan

Post by Dan »

Things have changed at the PIB campground: new park manager (Mike Pucak), new maintenance guy (Ross), and new rules. I've been talking with Ross.

For camping they say they no longer take 'walk ups' - only reservations - and it is past season to make reservations, but I am arguing our case and will get a call from park manager tomorrow after he talks with the state park coordinator, or whatever he/she is called.

So, I will post the results asap. Told him we've been camping the first weekend of Nov for 20 years (not sure what it really is, but close) we pay our way, we don't use any of their services, we are an older bunch of guys (true in some cases) we leave it clean or better - like boyscouts!

And no boyscout jokes please.
Dan

not 'young dan'
'71 Westy
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Dan

Post by Dan »

Well, I heard back from Mike, the PIB State Park Manager, and his District Manager talked with the head honcho and they say that because Mike does not live on PIB they do not want any camping there during the off-season - which is now.
He suggested we move it to the state park at KI and said the manager there, Chris Ashley, says the water would be ON for us if we wanted to go there instead.

And so we need to discuss and make a decision as to where to camp if we are going to continue the Nov camp-out. (We may eventually be able to go back to PIB, but not this year.)

So, I'm thinking maybe East Harbor (less expensive than going to KI) as some Leakoilers did a few years ago when the ferries to PIB stopped running.

What do y'all think? Cancel for this year? Move it to KI, move it to East Harbor, someplace else? Findlay State Park? Maui? Other ideas?
Dan

not 'young dan'
'71 Westy
reg

Post by reg »

East Harbor or Findley
reg

Post by reg »

Or KI