St.Louis Eurovan trip

Josh

St.Louis Eurovan trip

Post by Josh »

My dad has a friend of the family who's son has spina bifida, a condition where he has severe scoliosis, exposed sinal cord and paralysis. The boys mother has a small car and has trouble getting his growing body in and out of his wheelchair and into her car. For Christmas my dad's family wanted to skip gifts and all chip in to get them a wheelchair van. So found a 93 Eurovan in St.Louis, Missouri on eBay cheap and won the auction.

We flew out of Columbus on Monday morning early and arrived by 9:50. The man who owned the lot was cool and drove an 80 mile round trip to pick us up. He also told us that since it was going somewhere special, that it was currently at walmart getting new tires, on his dime! Great guy.

Unfortunately, as we left the parking lot, the driver's rear wheel locked up. But the owner of the lot assured us that he would take care of it, and towed us back to his lot.

Their mechanic found that the brake shoe lining had detatched from the shoe (probably from being rattled by the impact gun @ walmart). Only problem was that nobody in Missouri had any in stock, not even VW. So he ordered them, told us they would be in early Tues. morning and gave us a car to go get a hotel. The owner of the lot even offered to pay for the hotel and meals, although we declined.

My dad and I then took the opportunity to explore the city and have a good time. We found a few good bars, landmarks and restaurants and killed the evening. Next day they had the new brakes on and we rolled out by 10 am with a trouble free ride home. My dad is going to go over everything before they give it to the family, but it's in decent shape and the lift works great.

It was nice to do another long VW recovery trip with the old boy!

Dual Port

Re: St.Louis Eurovan trip

Post by Dual Port »

Cool story. Did you do the Arch, the Anheuser Busch brewery, or the historic district just north of the Arch? The barn where they keep the Clydesdales is nicer than most churches!

I was born in St. Louis and was there a few weeks ago on business. I was going to attend Game 6 of the Series before it was postponed.....

:mrgreen:
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Sweet. A good vehicle and a good deed. That 5 cylinder engine will outlast all of us. :)
Don from Canton

Post by Don from Canton »

Great story!!
Don