Mex camping

wwebner

Mex camping

Post by wwebner »

Pam and I just returned from what has become our annual trip to Mexico. we get off the beaten path a bit. Met this Canadian couple in the Sian Ka'an biosphere preserve. If you use google earth, should be 20 6.0748N 087 28.2485W

Here they are putting on their LEAKOIL sticker. (click to enlarge)
IMG_2035.JPG
This is where they are camping
IMG_2036.JPG
IMG_2049.JPG
The road to get there
IMG_1982.JPG
Six Volt

Re: Mex camping

Post by Six Volt »

That's a pretty awesome location. 8-) We get such a distorted view of what is "Mexico" from our media's coverage of the drug wars that we forget how big, beautiful, (and thankfully safe), much of the country actually is. Glad you guys were able to continue the tradition in light of all that you have going on with new shop & move. Can't wait to see more photos and hear a few good tequila stories! :lol:
CaptRon

Post by CaptRon »

Wow, looks like a great spot. I know you have some stories, can't wait to hear them.

Welcome back.
76 Westy
slayer

Post by slayer »

What a beautiful place to visit. The pics brought back many memories of my trips to Mexico. Did you have any problems?

We quit going because we did have many uncomfortable encounters with the Police, like shake downs.

" Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
03 Passat
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

slayer wrote:What a beautiful place to visit. The pics brought back many memories of my trips to Mexico. Did you have any problems?

We quit going because we did have many uncomfortable encounters with the Police, like shake downs.
we had no problems. We were in the Yucatan. Flew into Cancun and headed south. A lot of high profile police and military presence. In Tulum,even the local police were wearing vests and carrying uzi's. You couldn't turn your head without seeing them. I was told by a local that this very visable presence was their deterrent. seems to work as they have had no problems. Military patrols the coastal waters and the beach roads constantly. It's the northern border, areas by the US border where the issues are. Met several US and Canadians who drive down, they hit the border about 6AM and stay along the gulf coast and feel quite safe in that area. All the problems that we hear about are drug route "franchise" related. we have been going down for 18 years and never felt unsafe. Even talked my way out of a couple tickets. They tried to shake me down for a bribe a few years ago over a seatbelt issue and I just told him that I wanted to go to the police station. He let me go on my way. They can get into deep shit for soliciting a bribe.
Bill
Bill
bea_bug66

Post by bea_bug66 »

Wow, That is awesome, and Beautiful... :D

Nothing like carrying a leakoil sticker on vacation! Nice touch!
*January*

70 Adventurewagen Juno aka Ol' Blue
12 Turbo Beetle Kafer
14 CC Sedan Elvira