Watkins Glen - Adirondacks

TheBigSpud

Watkins Glen - Adirondacks

Post by TheBigSpud »

Got the bus out for a camping trip and just got back. We did a vaguely planned trip to the adirondacks this past week with a 2 night stop in the finger lakes region of NY on the way. We got a chance to see and play in some really incredible country.

As usual, we set out with no real set destination or place to stay. We always seem to luck out with this strategy, or lack thereof. Just figured we'd lay over somewhere in the FL region and stay/explore as things presented themslves.

First stop, Watkins Glen on the south end of Seneca lake. There is a terrific state park there and it turns out to be home to the 'westies at watkins' event in Sept. Probably most of you already know about this event, but we fell on it by accident. Known for an incredible gorge with 19 waterfalls and the Watkins race track that also hosts buses on the track during the event. I'm sure at least a few of you have been to this. Here's more info on that - http://www.empirevwcamping.org/Watkins/
Hiked the gorge, hit a cheese festival, ate down by the lake, while spending two nights in a full, but beautiful campground. Definately looking to hit the westies at watkins event next year.

Headed off to the Adirondack mountains and stayed at Nicks Lake outside of tourist trap Old Forge. What incredible scenery at our campsite on the lake. There is a whole different feel to this area. Kayaked the lake with a few other loons (love that sound). Took off the next day and landed at Rollins Pond in the St Regis area - more of the same! Made a great kayak trip through several lakes and creeks. Close encounters with loons, bald eagle, black ducks, mergansers, mink, etc. This area is just absolutely awesome. Several neat little northwoods towns with taverns, outfitters, and charm along the way. The bus was a hit everywhere, as you all experience, but no other bus sightings. The Spudmobile continues to run well and loves the cool air and hills to climb. I think the adirondacks will be an annual trip.

This is another highly recommended trip (I know, I always say that!). Totalled about 1,250 miles. Back now and getting ready for Dixie Bus - hope to see ya there!

Seneca Lake

Seneca Lake - marina at Watkins Glen

The gorge adjacent to Watkins Glen State Park

Our campsite on Nicks Lake

Heading to the ADK

Heading out from our campsite at Rollins Pond ADK

Kayaking through the many connecting streams from lake to lake

Note the clean, yet tea stained water

Campsite at Rollins
Last edited by TheBigSpud on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
wwebner

Re: Watkins Glen - Adirondacks

Post by wwebner »

Awesome Pete. Thanks for sharing. May have to put that on my bucket list.
Bill
Ron

Post by Ron »

How did your Bus like that hill going out of downtown? It's a steep one. I too recommend the area and the hike is nice.
thumper

Post by thumper »

great spots you found, love the pics
TheBigSpud

Post by TheBigSpud »

Bill - the ADK is right up your alley.

Ron - I could be jinxing things, but I feel like I can power right up anything in 2nd gear. 70 big horses haha!! Of course, this is much to the chagrin of the line of cars behind me, but up we go nonetheless!

Thumper - Got lots of great pics, but worry that I'm like the guy that invites people over and makes them look at all the vacation slides for hours.

Anyone here been on the WG race track?
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
Ron

Post by Ron »

I took my Bus over to the Grand Am race at Watkins Glen a couple years ago. We camped right at the track but were told about state park. Nice views from the track since it is on top of the hill. We camped in Wellsboro Pa. this spring just a little south of WG it was a nice area too. They have the "Grand Canyon" of the east.