'59 Panel

Karl Kombi

Re: Sean's '59 Panel

Post by Karl Kombi »

Very Cool! :D :!:
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

I've been LOVING driving this bus. The new 1600 DP motor is responsive and provides a level of safety the old 40HP couldn't deliver.

I decided to upgrade the CIP1 distributor we ran as a kind of test, so I reached out to Bill Fowler at Sparx Werks and sent him a Bosch "034" for rehab. It came back looking new and performs flawlessly. Really happy with it.

One problem area that I never addressed was my front shift rod which was FUBAR. Twisted and bent resulting in the H shift pattern being all out of whack. I realized a complete fix might require me to pull the engine and trans if the real problem required me to get to the center rod (if that might be the problem) and really didn't want to go down that road.

Bruce, however, had an option for me to consider given his extensive experience with dune buggies. He suggested putting an adjustment bolt and nut in the rod that would allow the rod to be slightly turned to create the original H configuration at the shifter. I figured why not? The rod was pretty beat up as is so it couldn't hurt. I brought the bus out to Bruce's and in less than two hours he had it all worked out.

Now the bus "works" like it should. I'm amazed at how people like Bruce can "fab" things up or work around problems to find solutions.
1.jpg
1.jpg (29.75 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (29.12 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (27.31 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Karl Kombi

Post by Karl Kombi »

If it's not adjustable, make it adjustable! Cool...
TRL

Post by TRL »

Sweet! Great work Bruce
The Rick Lang