rear transmission shaft

Frankinbus

rear transmission shaft

Post by Frankinbus »

I bought a used harbor freight motorcycle jack from a friend and used it to pull my engine today. worked great engine balanced well. only problem is the rear transmission shaft came out with it, stuck fairly tight in the clutch. guess I will be taking the tranny out next.
IMG_0568.JPG
IMG_0566.JPG
65 11 window bus
2012 turbo beetle
1964 berry mini t buggy
Six Volt

Re: rear transmission shaft

Post by Six Volt »

Wow! How does that happen? I'm the King of pulling engines (for all the wrong reasons) and I've never seen that. :o
Frankinbus

Post by Frankinbus »

there is a 7mm threaded stud between this shaft and the one in the tranny that is missing, It isn't on either shafts, its probably on the bottom of the tranny
65 11 window bus
2012 turbo beetle
1964 berry mini t buggy
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Bummer. What prompted you to pull the engine?
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Frankinbus

Post by Frankinbus »

late last year the gears were grinding going into first and reverse I wanted to check the throw out bearing, I had the clips come out before. also just clean, paint and a few small things it seemed easier with it out
65 11 window bus
2012 turbo beetle
1964 berry mini t buggy
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Frankinbus wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:16 pm late last year the gears were grinding going into first and reverse I wanted to check the throw out bearing, I had the clips come out before. also just clean, paint and a few small things it seemed easier with it out
Obviously, this problem is above my pay grade, but I did take a big nut tranny out to Jim's VW (Columbiana) and they rebuilt it for $500. Not cheap to some, but they did a nice job. It was part of Bruce's rebuild of my '59 panel drivetrain. I've had no issues with the tranny since the install. I'm sure there are varying opinions of shops like Jim's, but for me their tranny work was good. Whatever your approach, I hope it works out for you.
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Grinding going into first and reverse sounds like the clutch is hanging up (not releasing properly). Inspect/replace if it's out. A new Sachs kit PP, disc, TOB is only $80. If the clips break you usually have bigger problems, like a jumped TOB and no disengagement at all.
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

There is a snap ring that breaks allowing the reverse gear to slide and the stud breaks or un threads and the shat seperates. Need to at least tear 1 reduction box apart and pull a side cover to fix.
Frankinbus

Post by Frankinbus »

that snapring came out with the shaft, I believe that started the problem. the stud looks to be on the other shaft still.i am going to remove the t/o bearind and seal and try to get it back together without a teardown.
65 11 window bus
2012 turbo beetle
1964 berry mini t buggy
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Frankinbus wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:11 am that snapring came out with the shaft, I believe that started the problem. the stud looks to be on the other shaft still.i am going to remove the t/o bearind and seal and try to get it back together without a teardown.
You can't because the reverse gear is now in the diff housing. The reverse gear also has the splines that mate the 2 pieces of the input shaft to transmit the power. You need to face the fact that it either get fixed right, you park it till you can fix it or you halfass it and it bites you in the ass and costs way more when the repair is rebuilding another trans when this one explodes because it was cobbled together.

Part #12 now resides in the diff housing.
Trans.jpg