vw license plates

Frankinbus

vw license plates

Post by Frankinbus »

the owner has these on a 56 i think buick says she has more in her garage wants to know what they are worth. dont offer 10 bucks aint gonna happen. need honest opinions on value, thanks
IMG_1358.jpg
65 11 window bus
2012 turbo beetle
1964 berry mini t buggy
Six Volt

Re: vw license plates

Post by Six Volt »

Most licesne plate dealers I see at swaps want from $20 to $100 for a set of Ohio year specific plates. Obviously, condition is key. Absolute never used, or what appears to be never used, are priced at $100, but rarely does anyone pay that much.
The problem with year specific plates is they are useless (other than as a wall decoration for your birth year) unless you have a vehicle that year that you're looking to plate. It doesn't matter what's on the plate (like "VW", "bus" or "bug") or how cool they look, because you're not buying them at an inflated price unless you can use them.
If I had a '56 I'd probably offer $25 or $30 for those. The owner can say no, but then she has to wait for someone else to come around with a '56 VW that's looking for plates. Good luck with that.
I suppose she could put them on the samba and try to get $50 from some '56 owner, but then she has the hassle of making sure she gets paid and she has to deal with the shipping.
The reason the plate dealers at shows ask more (and can get more) is they go from show to show and have a better chance of meeting someone looking for a specific year/condition. They also spend a lot more of their time trying to make those sales to get compensated for that time.
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

I've bought a lot of Ohio plates and have a complete set up to 1970 with a few missing before 1910. I agree with Sean, those plates are a curiosity but not valuable. Value is according to year and condition with the older plates being more desirable. Many of those year plates sell for $5-10 at swap meets, I've bought some pre-1920 plates for $10-20 before.
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Frankinbus

Post by Frankinbus »

heres the deal. she has several sets from the 60s and 70s allin good shape like the picture and all start with the vw letters. i check the plate venders at avery show and have not seen any sets with the vw letters in them
65 11 window bus
2012 turbo beetle
1964 berry mini t buggy
Frankinbus

Post by Frankinbus »

ruth sold several sets of these for $80 that is her new no deal price, i have buyers committed for the 54, 62 and 63. that leaves 55, 58 to 61 66, 67 left. i am taking them to velksfest to sell for her, if you want a set before then let me know. again these were used for a year then hung in the garage since they are in really nice shape.
65 11 window bus
2012 turbo beetle
1964 berry mini t buggy