Woodward Dream Cruise 2022 (Friday Night)

Six Volt

Woodward Dream Cruise 2022 (Friday Night)

Post by Six Volt »

Woodward is always worth the trip. And what a long strange trip it was on Friday.

I met up with Bruce and Rob in Columbia Station and we headed west working our way to St. Rt 2. We picked up Alan and Tucker near Sr. 250 and headed to Tony Pacco's in Toledo. Rob had his Subaru powered Vanagon and Alan and Tucker had some kind of a home built Eurovan 4 wheel drive (European 4WD on an American style Eurovan) 1.9 diesel turbo high top. (It was all a big mystery to me.) Bruce had Bus 2 and I had the ‘59 split panel. (I know Aaron is shocked right now reading this and realizing I left my comfort zone.)

Rob led the way with Waze and the ride to Pacco's was uneventful.
IMG_7624.jpg
We all pigged out on food that probably isn't the best for us! How many young folks even remember the movie or the show Mash?
IMG_7625.jpg
IMG_7626.jpg
IMG_7627.jpg
We even ran into Craig and Brenda Clinger who must have the same taste in food!
IMG_7628.jpg

Then it was off to tackle the trip into Detroit. Rob was in charge, but we all discussed whether to take SR 23; I-275; Telegraph Road (SR 24) or just go with I-75N. We started on Telegraph, but once going through Monroe, and realizing the number of lights, I suggested we abandon that plan and headed off to I-75N.

Well, there are mistakes, and then there are big mistakes and I-75N was a huge mistake.

There's something about Michigan DOT that you learn quickly. When they do a road project is not just a few orange barrels with the occasional flagman, it's a full-on unearthing with destruction that rivals the bombing of Dresden (Google it kids).

It's not enough to have you proceed slowly. No, they have to route you over to the original southbound lanes so you can drive north on them through the Jersey walls they construct like Erich Honecker building the Berlin Wall in 1962.

And if that's not enough, Michigan DOT has other plans. They like to bring you to a complete stop so you're forced to exit the freeway just north of downtown so you can arrive in some of Detroit's non-affluent areas. I guess they feel you'll better appreciate highway construction when driving through them scurrying north to the east of I-75. Even the Detroit PD in an undercover vehicle did a double take on seeing 4 VW's cruise past the Delicatessen near Dequindre and E. McNichols as we reentered I-75.

So back on I-75N we went for more harrowing experiences with Detroit's finest stock car wannabe drivers. Who needs a NASCAR race when you've got I-75N in Detroit?

So with our lives hanging in the balance we made it to the Embassy Suites (a Hilton brand no less :D ) in Troy Michigan. Now Embassy Suites is what I call camping! :D

Next we were off to cruise Woodward. We did the Pontiac loop. Waved to the bikers on the west side south of Pontiac (I'm not messing with them) and watched a few burnouts and lunatics wanting to drag race each other in heavy traffic. It was all priceless.

And the Bloomfield Hills police must have had blinders on with the music up loud because they were oblivious! :shock:

I got one of Bruce on the first cruise.
IMG_7629.jpg
I wasn't a big picture taker last night because I was too busy eying cars. They just keep coming. I did grab a shot of a '59 land yacht and a nice Mercedes.
IMG_7631.jpg
IMG_7632.jpg
We ended up on Woodward just south of Long Lake Drive at a place called Little Daddy's where we had takeout food and set up chairs on Woodward to take in the show. Great time!

In the AM I had to get back into town, so I was gone early. The gang was also up early for day 2 and they are off to then go camping. Joy! :roll:

Michigan DOT didn't disappoint me on my way out of town. I wanted no part of I-75, so I thought I can deal with lights on Telegraph. Well, I got down to about 8 Mile Road and had enough so I figured its time to try I-275 south. Another big mistake. I was soon back in the Berlin Wall days with 18 wheelers and jersey walls screaming as I rolled by. Yikes!

Eventually I was back in Ohio on calmer terrain and I came across a little greasy spoon in a little town called Curtice on Rt. 2. What a blessing. Great cheap food!
IMG_7633.jpg
IMG_7634.jpg
And to finish it off, Michigan's DOT wouldn't have felt good about my visit if they didn't extract something from me. On my I-75 N trip, I lost a hubcap that Alan then ran over (Thankfully no damage to either vehicle) and I made it back alive. Great time!
IMG_7635.jpg
Dual Port

Re: Woodward Dream Cruise 2022 (Friday Night)

Post by Dual Port »

I was interviewed by WXYZ channel 7 Detroit.
https://ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com/dim ... 3%20AM.png

Tap the photos to access the whole story or Google wxyz Woodward.

https://ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com/dim ... 7%20PM.png
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus