1963 Single Cab - A.K.A. Sanford

Marla

1963 Single Cab - A.K.A. Sanford

Post by Marla »

After a few years of looking, lurking and dreaming, I finally got my truck and Gunther has a buddy.

I’d like to introduce everyone to Sanford or Sanfurt if you want a German twist to it.

This is a project truck. He runs, he stops and does pretty good on the highway. He definitely needs a tune up and the usual things to be gone over. He isn’t pretty by any means, but we will work on that over time.

First priorities are to get some safety upgrades like the dual master cylinder and disc brakes up front. There will be some structural frame welding and a new treasure chest floor which appears to have gone missing. LOL 😂

Stay tuned as we give this guy some Luv’n.

I picked him up on July 30th and parked him in the garage for now while I come up with a plan.

Here are some photos to share.
Attachments
IMG_6867.jpeg
IMG_6802.jpeg
IMG_6815.jpeg
IMG_6816.jpeg
IMG_6847.jpeg
IMG_6846.jpeg
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
Karl Kombi

Re: 1963 Single Cab - A.K.A. Sanford

Post by Karl Kombi »

Congratulations -- I'm glad he has a new home!
TRL

Post by TRL »

Woot woot!!! Awesome truck!!!
The Rick Lang
Rob

Post by Rob »

Very cool! Single Cabs are a lot of fun! Get ready for the #1 question..."Did you make that or did it come that way?" It is also important for your VW's to have names and friends. Just ask Lil'Tud, Big Tud, Pickle and the Black Pearl!
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"
1968 Black Double Cab "The Black Pearl"
1970 Lotus White Single Cab "Big Tud"
1976 Sage Green Westfalia "Sweet Pickle"

They gotta' have names!
Marla

Post by Marla »

Thanks!

Yes, I have already been asked that a bunch followed by "I've never seen one like that" or "I didn't know they made them like that". Too funny.
It's Marla with an " L"
Just Dave

Post by Just Dave »

So good to see he went to a good home.
Marla

Post by Marla »

Thanks!

Decided to get the farm animal smell out of the cab, well at least try anyways. Started working on the seats. Got the old original stuff off, prepped primed and painted the frames. Ready for new pads and covers. These frames are in great shape.

I like a nice comfy ride.
Attachments
IMG_7359.jpeg
IMG_7352.jpeg
IMG_7347.jpeg
IMG_7304.jpeg
It's Marla with an " L"
Marla

Post by Marla »

Got the seats done.
71863779151__3F13A7BA-13B4-415F-8F28-4244C4DC5ABB.jpeg
Now on to drying in the cab area. All of the window seals were a mess so we removed the windows. Looking at the metal to determine next steps.

Cleaned up inside the cab area a bit. I will need to get a better cleaner to really get it shined up.
Attachments
IMG_7587.jpeg
IMG_7593.jpeg
IMG_7589.jpeg
IMG_7590.jpeg
It's Marla with an " L"
Marla

Post by Marla »

I took the door window frames home to work on the seals in my basement. This has been a fun project. Not the easiest but I learned a lot by going through it.

Stared with disassembling the frame and removing old crusty seals.
Starting Point.JPG

Pulled the frame apart
Frame Apart.JPG
Frame Aprart 2.JPG
Wing Window Stem.JPG
Lots of rust so I cleaned it up and used rust conversion paint in all of the channels and crusty spots. I don't want to loose the "character" of this truck, so I am not painting it all. I plan to use it as a truck, so making it pretty is not a priority.
Window Prep.JPG
Window Prep 2.JPG
The wing window seals are not easy to do. Thank goodness Luke was home from college so I put him to work. Once I had a second pair of hands it went pretty quick. Only took 1.5 hours to get the seals set in place.
Helper.JPG

Wing Seal.JPG
The flapper seals on top were a little rough. If the channels aren't completely cleaned out these are very dificult to deal with. Once they are cleaned out, they are fairly simple.
Flapper Channel.JPG
Cut the felt channels, dry fitted to be sure it will go back together, glued them in place and reassembled the frame.
Cutting Felt.JPG

Glass installed.
Glass in Place.JPG
[attachment=0]

All in all I am pretty happy with the progress. The wing windows will get installed once I have the right tools and a little help from a friend.
It's Marla with an " L"
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Nice job. That's not an easy task even with two. What rubber did you settle for? Years ago Bill recommended and I used West Coast Metric on my old SO23. Just wondering are they still considered the gold standard? Or does Wolfsburg now make something better? Or is it all the CIP1 same? I wonder who Mick sources from?